Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I just set up my new 36 gallon tank, this is my first tank. I set everything up and ran the tank for a week before getting any fish. I bought 3 red long fin minor tetras on Monday. They adjusted fine for the first two days. Then started a problem. One is big, one small, and medium sized one that I believe is a female. The big one seems to be a bully, and now the middle one is not eating. It has not eaten in two days and now it hides alone behind the plants near the heater swimming in one spot. Is this fish stressed, sick, or bullied? Any help would be great!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Serpae Tetra are aggressive fish, there will always be this type of behavior with them. They will do better in a larger group, at least six, but if you decide to keep them it will limit what you can keep in your tank as almost anything will be targeted for fin nipping and chasing. When a species name is shaded you can click on it and it will take you to the profile which explains all about the species.

Cycling refers to the development of the different bacterial colonies invloved in nitrification, which usually takes several weeks or months.

See: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-articles/bacteria-freshwater-aquarium-74891/

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
I would go even further on the Serpae Tetra. No fewer than 8 in the group, and many recommend 10 or more; and these on their own in a 30g. If you intend any other fish in the 36g, I would get rid of the Serpae as they do limit options. All this is in the profile.

And, welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.:wave:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Settling down.

So I went to the pet store, who originally told me these fish were calm and good for a community tank. I bought another tetra which makes four as well as 4 Glofish. There is one bully out of the 4 tetra, none are bothering the glofish, which are alot smaller than the tetra. I am going to give it a week or so, if the bullying continues I may remove the one bully tetra.

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
So I went to the pet store, who originally told me these fish were calm and good for a community tank. I bought another tetra which makes four as well as 4 Glofish. There is one bully out of the 4 tetra, none are bothering the glofish, which are alot smaller than the tetra. I am going to give it a week or so, if the bullying continues I may remove the one bully tetra.
Did you read the profile of the Serpae Tetra? You did ask us for help, and two of us have referred you to the profile for information. I think it is pretty clear.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
update

I have read up on these guys now, I don't know what to do, added another which makes four and still bullying and they aren't schooling together. They do not bother the glofish though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New Aquarium, What should I add?

So I started a new aquarium about three weeks ago. It is a 36 gallon tank. After running the tank for a week I added the first fish, 4 red minor long fin tetra, waited another week and added 4 glofish (zebra dainos). The red minors are not getting along with eachother and are not schooling. Usually stay is different parts of the tank. I am waiting a week or so before adding more fish, I was looking for some suggestions. Thanks :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
If I was in your situation, I would take the Serpeas back to the store. I would replace them with Lemon Tetras. They are a much more peaceful fish, and can withstand the cycling process. They are shoaling, so buy a group, at least six, preferably more. They are cool looking to.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ok, I think first could you tell us what Your aquarium is equipped with? What type of substrate do you have? What color is it? What kind of filter do you have? What type of filtration does it use? Do you want to plant the aquarium with live plants? What type of decorations do you have in the aquarium?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I think OP has added too many fish to his aquarium already.

plus this is not a cycled tank yet -- i'm worried about the fish!

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
This is basically a duplicate of another thread in the Tropical Fish section so I have merged the two.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update

I have seen there are a few questions, not sure if they are for my thread. I have blue rocks, moderately artificial planted, aqueon filter 30, Decorations consist of roman colliseum, rock cave. There are many hiding spots in this tank 36 gallon tank. Very unsatisfied with the red minor tetras. They all bully eachother and their fins are becoming smaller each day. They do not bother the glofish still. I want to add more fish but I want to solve this problem first.

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
I have seen there are a few questions, not sure if they are for my thread. I have blue rocks, moderately artificial planted, aqueon filter 30, Decorations consist of roman colliseum, rock cave. There are many hiding spots in this tank 36 gallon tank. Very unsatisfied with the red minor tetras. They all bully eachother and their fins are becoming smaller each day. They do not bother the glofish still. I want to add more fish but I want to solve this problem first.
Under the specific circumstances here, the only way to solve the Red Minor problem is to remove all of them. A group of 8-12 on their own in this 36g tank is the minimum, and there is no guarantee this will keep them relatively "nice" to each other; but as soon as other fish are added, the tank space is decreased (to the fish) and trouble will ensue.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just got home from the petsmart. I purchased two Honey Sunset Gouramis. I am going to take the advice I am gettting here because as soon as I added the Gourami the red minors were all over them. I have removed the three fin nipper tetras and kept the docile red minor. Now I have I red minor, four glofish, 2 honey sunset, and an otocinclus that I also purchased today. The tank was immediately more peaceful after the three tetras were removed. I am going to return them to the store now. Thanks for the help, I have alot to learn because I want to build on this tank.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
return all 4 red minor, . and get something different all together!

I think keeping the one is going to be asking for trouble. There are many gorgeous and typically not nippy tetras out there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the advice. I bought three black phantom tetra to replace the three serpea tetra. They are much more peaceful and the the little long find red minor is schooling with the phantom tetra. Now with 2 gouramis, 4 tetra, 4 glofish, and 2 otocinclus my new tank is almost complete. Looking for the last suitable addition currently.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts