Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Relatively new aquarist- 25L planted tank cycled for 2 weeks before adding fish. Now into week two of fish being in the tank and started noticing that the neons were at the very surface of the water and gasping quite a lot.

Have a Ciano CF 40 filter originally with spraybar and noticed that the surface water was barely moving after about a week and a half of the fish being in. Took spray bar off, cleaned (gently) the entire filter (including impellar well) in old aquarium water and that worked for about two days. Noticed neons gasping at surface again so cleaned again today and not as much gunk came out but water agitation is still very poor.

Water parameters are all fine, but I feel so bad for my little neons, especially as the tank is quite tall and narrow so the surface area for water agitation is already smaller than a normal tank. I can't take the filter apart every two days for a cleaning, that just isn't sustainable. Any and all suggestions would be great, my partner seems to think we just need a better filter, I've been neurotically trying to get this one to work because I paid money for it to work goddamit :p

·
Registered
15 Posts
could be a combo of a few things. what is your water temperature? warmer water holds less oxygen. So you might need to lower your heater. Please Google and check your fish requirements. Add bubbles, you could simply get some airline and a small pump. use a suction cup to attach the line in the aquarium. PRESTO! bubbles.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
using plants to consume co2 would help. BTW have you measured pH?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts