Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

So I just got 2 new molly’s about 4 days ago and around 2 days ago I found 2 baby fish. I caught them and put them into a breeding net until my other tank is up and running to transfer. So far I have only found 2 and have been told that the others will hide in the gravel/plants. These babies look pretty tiny (attached pic) and I am noticing that mom still looks pregnant ( attached pic). I’ve been reading that I should put her in a separate tank so she can have the babies and then put her back into main tank. I have no idea what I am doing here. Pls help!! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello!

So I just got 2 new molly’s about 4 days ago and around 2 days ago I found 2 baby fish. I caught them and put them into a breeding net until my other tank is up and running to transfer. So far I have only found 2 and have been told that the others will hide in the gravel/plants. These babies look pretty tiny (attached pic) and I am noticing that mom still looks pregnant ( attached pic). I’ve been reading that I should put her in a separate tank so she can have the babies and then put her back into main tank. I have no idea what I am doing here. Pls help!! :)

The mom doesn't really look pregnant unfortunately. If you see a black-ish gravid spot towards her dorsal fin its likely she is pregnant. The babies will probably be old enough in about 1 week, max 2 weeks. Here is a video that will hopefully help.

If possible I would separate the mother beforehand. It is just easier and you will only have to remove the mother from the quarantine tank after the fry are born. Make sure the quarantine/breeder tank does not have a filter, the babies could get hurt. Just make sure to do a small water change every other day, if the tank is very large you can take some of the water from your main tank but its not necessary.
The mom doesn't really look pregnant unfortunately. If you see a black-ish gravid spot towards her dorsal fin its likely she is pregnant. The babies will probably be old enough in about 1 week, max 2 weeks. Here is a video that will hopefully help.

If possible I would separate the mother beforehand. It is just easier and you will only have to remove the mother from the quarantine tank after the fry are born. Make sure the quarantine/breeder tank does not have a filter, the babies could get hurt. Just make sure to do a small water change every other day, if the tank is very large you can take some of the water from your main tank but its not necessary.
Ok thank you! The babies should be old enough to what? Come out from hiding? I would love to move them from the main tank so they have a higher chance of living.
I haven’t seen a darker spot on her. I assume the babies had came from her because she is bigger than the other new one; but I have read that once they are done giving birth that they go back to almost completely flat… So it could have come from the other one… I have no idea how to tell

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.