Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
I have two tanks, one is cycling and one is a 5 gal (Soon to be upgraded)
525 Posts
The mom doesn't really look pregnant unfortunately. If you see a black-ish gravid spot towards her dorsal fin its likely she is pregnant. The babies will probably be old enough in about 1 week, max 2 weeks. Here is a video that will hopefully help.

If possible I would separate the mother beforehand. It is just easier and you will only have to remove the mother from the quarantine tank after the fry are born. Make sure the quarantine/breeder tank does not have a filter, the babies could get hurt. Just make sure to do a small water change every other day, if the tank is very large you can take some of the water from your main tank but its not necessary.

·
Registered
525 Posts
The babies could get eaten from the parents. I would separate them until they are a little bigger then the parents mouths. That is when they will old enough to safely be with the rest of them. I can't really tell how big they are in the photos.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I didn't suggest a breeding box because it is to tiny. They usually only work for guppies. The babies can get eaten very quickly and if born in the middle of the night there is no way to save them

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.