Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

So I just got 2 new molly’s about 4 days ago and around 2 days ago I found 2 baby fish. I caught them and put them into a breeding net until my other tank is up and running to transfer. So far I have only found 2 and have been told that the others will hide in the gravel/plants. These babies look pretty tiny (attached pic) and I am noticing that mom still looks pregnant ( attached pic). I’ve been reading that I should put her in a separate tank so she can have the babies and then put her back into main tank. I have no idea what I am doing here. Pls help!! :)

·
Registered
I have two tanks, one is cycling and one is a 5 gal (Soon to be upgraded)
357 Posts
The mom doesn't really look pregnant unfortunately. If you see a black-ish gravid spot towards her dorsal fin its likely she is pregnant. The babies will probably be old enough in about 1 week, max 2 weeks. Here is a video that will hopefully help.

If possible I would separate the mother beforehand. It is just easier and you will only have to remove the mother from the quarantine tank after the fry are born. Make sure the quarantine/breeder tank does not have a filter, the babies could get hurt. Just make sure to do a small water change every other day, if the tank is very large you can take some of the water from your main tank but its not necessary.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello!

So I just got 2 new molly’s about 4 days ago and around 2 days ago I found 2 baby fish. I caught them and put them into a breeding net until my other tank is up and running to transfer. So far I have only found 2 and have been told that the others will hide in the gravel/plants. These babies look pretty tiny (attached pic) and I am noticing that mom still looks pregnant ( attached pic). I’ve been reading that I should put her in a separate tank so she can have the babies and then put her back into main tank. I have no idea what I am doing here. Pls help!! :)

The mom doesn't really look pregnant unfortunately. If you see a black-ish gravid spot towards her dorsal fin its likely she is pregnant. The babies will probably be old enough in about 1 week, max 2 weeks. Here is a video that will hopefully help.

If possible I would separate the mother beforehand. It is just easier and you will only have to remove the mother from the quarantine tank after the fry are born. Make sure the quarantine/breeder tank does not have a filter, the babies could get hurt. Just make sure to do a small water change every other day, if the tank is very large you can take some of the water from your main tank but its not necessary.

Ok thank you! The babies should be old enough to what? Come out from hiding? I would love to move them from the main tank so they have a higher chance of living.
I haven’t seen a darker spot on her. I assume the babies had came from her because she is bigger than the other new one; but I have read that once they are done giving birth that they go back to almost completely flat… So it could have come from the other one… I have no idea how to tell

·
Registered
357 Posts
The babies could get eaten from the parents. I would separate them until they are a little bigger then the parents mouths. That is when they will old enough to safely be with the rest of them. I can't really tell how big they are in the photos.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok thank you! The babies should be old enough to what? Come out from hiding? I would love to move them from the main tank so they have a higher chance of living.
I haven’t seen a darker spot on her. I assume the babies had came from her because she is bigger than the other new one; but I have read that once they are done giving birth that they go back to almost completely flat… So it could have come from the other one… I have no idea how to

I've been breeding Mollies for over 30 years and I can help you. First of all, the parents or any fish that are in with the mother while giving birth will eat all the fry (babies). You did the right thing by putting the remaining into what's called an incubator or breeding tank. As for her being pregnant again. Yes! They don't even need a male for a while, as the female can store the males sperm inside of them for many months and fertilize more eggs as needed. So even though she just gave birth, she can and will be pregnant almost immediately. Expect her to give birth within 70 days. You'll want to house her alone when she's getting close and put her in a birthing tank with a false bottom that allows the fry to fall through the cracks so mom can't eat them. Then when she's done giving birth, remove her back to her original tank. As for the fry. They need to be large enough that the other fish cannot fit them in their mouths before allowing them to be together. I have some fry that are a couple months old that are still houses alone, for they're too small. You'll need to feed the fry special food that's small enough for their little mouths. It's evident your female is quite young by the lack of black coloring on her body. So this may be the first time she's given birth. Which means they will only have a very small birth. My one Lyretail Dalmatian Molly gave birth to only around 20 her first time. I was lucky to save all but 2, which had died the next day. You'll find that not all will survive despite your best efforts. If you know which ones are females, put them in a separate tank together. Then when you see a large dark gravid spot near their anal fin and see them getting larger, put them into the special birthing tank with the false bottom. Please do not put the fry in with any adults until they're about an inch long. Good luck and feel free to contact me any time you have any questions. The only stupid question, is the one not asked.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You don’t need to set up another tank just buy a breeding box but never put a pregnant molly in it as it can stress the fish out best thing to do is try to keep track on how far the fish is then keep a eye out for the baby’s and catch them in my opinion and look under the leafs of you plants and behind your filter as they will Squeeze down the back of it to stay safe hope this helps

·
Registered
357 Posts
I didn't suggest a breeding box because it is to tiny. They usually only work for guppies. The babies can get eaten very quickly and if born in the middle of the night there is no way to save them

·
Registered
10 Posts
I didn't suggest a breeding box because it is to tiny. They usually only work for guppies. The babies can get eaten very quickly and if born in the middle of the night there is no way to save

I've been breeding Mollies and other fish for over 30 years. I've been using a breeding tank with a false bottom and they work great. The fry drop into the bottom section and the mother cannot even get them. I have so many fry in my tanks right now cuz I use the breeding tanks. They may be small but they work and the mother is only in them for a short time. If the pregnant fish is allowed to give birth in just a regular tank without putting her in the breeding box while delivering, she will definitely eat them. The fry can only hide in the substrate and plants for so long before they will come out and then get eaten. I've known several people who didn't use a breeding box for their Mollies, Guppies , etc. and they found out the hard way when they realized their fish have birth but had no fry to show for it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts