Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi Michelle...

Livebearing fish male and female are raised together in the store. So, if you have a female. It's pregnant. Mollies need a couple of things if you want them to be healthy. You need to change the tank water weekly. Half or a bit more of the water is about right. This keeps the water free of dissolved fish waste and maintains a good water chemistry. Mollies are genetically brackish water fish. They do best with a bit of standard aquarium salt in their water. When you perform the weekly water change, I would add a teaspoon or a bit more of standard aquarium salt to every five gallons of treated tap water.

Adding some type of floating plant is good cover for the female and the fry. When the fry show up in the tank, start feeding a little more and more often. Well fed adult fish aren't likely to bother the fry.

M

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did you manage to look at my molly, when I got her she was a much smaller and over the last few weeks her belly looks bigger

·
Registered
34 Posts
did you manage to look at my molly, when I got her she was a much smaller and over the last few weeks her belly looks bigger
I had a molly that was pregnant . don't make the mistake I did (twice) and put her in one of those breeders. they seem to real sensitive to change and they both died in the fish breeder net. next time I plan on letting them have their babies where they want with a lot of floating plants. and don't forget to cover the filter intake strainer. with some course foam.

I am new to this and am learning a lot from the folks on here. I love Mollies and I am planning on doing a Molly only tank... and some have suggested that I use Mollies to start up a salt water tank that I want to do in the future

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello...

Sorry to break in on this thread. But, you only want to use sponge filters when breeding aquarium fish. The sponge filters aren't a danger to the fry. There's no way for fry to be pulled into the filter. The sponge filter also pushes water up to the surface doing a much better job of mixing oxygen into the tank water. Other filters that have a water fall affect don't do as good job of agitating the tank water and mixing in the oxygen. Also, the current is much stronger with a water fall filter and can push small fish around the tank much more than a sponge. Even when you consider the cost of adding an air pump to run the sponge, that cost is much less than other filters and the sponge never needs replacement media.

If you're interested in a good sponge filter, look into those from Aquarium Solutions. One called "Bacto-Surge" is very good.

M

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I have used the penn plax an2 nursery. The mother is on a larger (birthing) side with a "V" and the nursery in on another side for the babies. you use an air tube so that water is circulating from the birthing to the nursery side.

Seemed to work very well not only in getting the babies away from mom but preventing stagnant water as well.

For platties and guppies I now use planted tank and just let the population build up to whatever the tank can sustain.

I just googled and saw several hits for the $20 or so mark.

my .02

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have used the penn plax an2 nursery. The mother is on a larger (birthing) side with a "V" and the nursery in on another side for the babies. you use an air tube so that water is circulating from the birthing to the nursery side.

Seemed to work very well not only in getting the babies away from mom but preventing stagnant water as well.

For platties and guppies I now use planted tank and just let the population build up to whatever the tank can sustain.

I just googled and saw several hits for the $20 or so mark.

my .02
I wonder if this would be too small for mollies

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I wonder if this would be too small for mollies
possibly.

As I remember it's 5-6" long and an albino sailfin molly fit in there. But is was tight. At least the water is moving though.

my .02

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello...

Sorry to break in on this thread. But, you only want to use sponge filters when breeding aquarium fish. The sponge filters aren't a danger to the fry. There's no way for fry to be pulled into the filter. The sponge filter also pushes water up to the surface doing a much better job of mixing oxygen into the tank water. Other filters that have a water fall affect don't do as good job of agitating the tank water and mixing in the oxygen. Also, the current is much stronger with a water fall filter and can push small fish around the tank much more than a sponge. Even when you consider the cost of adding an air pump to run the sponge, that cost is much less than other filters and the sponge never needs replacement media.

If you're interested in a good sponge filter, look into those from Aquarium Solutions. One called "Bacto-Surge" is very good.

M
I was looking at the sponge filter/pretty inexpensive

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi Jim...

The filter's main job is getting oxygen into the tank water. It's not making the water cleaner. The only thing that does, is a large water change performed every week. Commit to this and you'll have very few, if any tank problems.

M

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Jim...

The filter's main job is getting oxygen into the tank water. It's not making the water cleaner. The only thing that does, is a large water change performed every week. Commit to this and you'll have very few, if any tank problems.

M
M you are referring to the sponge filter when yo say its job is to add oxygen and not to really filter. I am assuming this doesn't apply to sumps or cannisters.
Jim

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello Jim...

There's not a mechanical filter on the market today that will keep the tank water clean. It's just taking in toxic water and returning the water a little less toxic. That's why I don't spend a lot of money on these gizmos. A filter's main job is to get oxygen into the water. You removing and replacing most of the water weekly is the true water filter.

M

1 - 12 of 12 Posts