Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got home late and went to feed my fish, and while they're swimming around eating I looked for the shrimps to see what they're doing. The bamboo was fanning, ok, the two male ghosties were walking around picking up bits, ok. Then I saw my female with the eggs laying in the back on her side. :( I nudged her toward the front of the tank. I think she's dead, she wouldn't be molting if she's carrying eggs right??

I took a photo because when I shine an LED light there are white specks on her legs, could this be ich???? I just brought home the rasboras from petco the other day but they all seem fine. Even miss shrimp was just fine earlier today, I took a shot of her in macro to check her eggs. :( And I assume if she is dead the eggs are out of luck.

I did notice the temperature had gone up to 78, my husband had adjusted the household temperature and even though the tank is in the cold room (our bedroom gets colder than the rest of the house). Normally it was 74-76. I hadn't adjusted the temp to go up, but I wonder if that's what really would have done it??? Would that small amount have killed her? My PH didn't change nor did the amonia, according to my meters.

I'm just confused because she was perfectly fine this afternoon! :( I'm attaching the photo of her (dead :( ) because I want to know if that's ich on her legs. If so I hope I don't lose any more before I can go to a petstore for med... I've also attached the pic I took this afternoon when she was fine, to compare the coloring.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
342 Posts
I don't believe shrimp can get ich. I've just been through a horrible case of it that wiped out one of my entire tanks and the only thing that survived was a shrimp. The water temp change shouldn't do it either - I live in FL and don't heat my big tank where my ghost shrimp are and the fluctuations have never seemed to bother them a bit. I hope you have good luck with the eggs!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope so too. Yeah I think the spots were just spots. Poor preggo shrimp :(

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think some of the eggs have eyes, I hope that's a good sign!

·
Registered
342 Posts
lol - you're as obsessed with these as I am my baby cory.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I thought ghost shrimp spawn in brakish water? I know they'll carry eggs but I didn't think the eggs hatched in regular FW..?

Good luck with the eggs though. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
342 Posts
I thought ghost shrimp spawn in brakish water? I know they'll carry eggs but I didn't think the eggs hatched in regular FW..?

Posted via Mobile Device
That's what I thought too, but someone else said no.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Weird. When I had ghosties I would see them with eggs but never ever any babies. Granted, I had cories as well as other fish that I'm sure would eat them.. But I've even bought like 20 ghost shrimp with at least half of them carrying eggs so I would think I would spot at least a couple babies.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
342 Posts
Same here and nothing. I've had them in large quantities with numerous ones pregnant and not even a stray baby in the filter.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Come to think of it, that does make sense though. These things are frequently living in regular old ponds and creeks. Where would the brakish water come from.. Haha.

Now I'm disappointed I couldn't get any baby shrimp.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,388 Posts

Posted via Mobile Device
It's the Amanos that need brackish to spawn, Jen. Ghost shrimp have a planktonic larval stage. They need to filter feed for the first few weeks they are alive. Unlike red cherries who hatch as fully formed shrimplets. That's why red cherries are much better shrimp to keep; they will perpetuate a colony.

As to why your mother shrimp died, there is really no telling. Shrimp have a high mortality when introduced to a new tank. It doesn't matter if the tank is established or what. Shrimp just don't take change well at all. I've had mortality as high as 50% when introducing shrimp to a new tank.

You've got the right idea if you want to hatch shrimp eggs. I hatched some Sakura reds that way, but you are still going to have the problem of what to feed the larvae; they are filter-feeders. You should really check out the Planet Invert page on ghost/glass shrimps.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey KoiMaiden,
Yup that's the site I am following the tutorial from. Hoping it works! I'll keep this thread updated as time goes by.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
More eyes!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, some eggs have turned white and there is a fine hair substance on them that I assume is a mold. I assume the white eggs are dead, everything online talks about them turning clear or brown, not white. :/ I guess I should try to separate the remaining green eggs?

·
Registered
342 Posts
If you can, go for it. Otherwise, the rest aren't looking so good. :(

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah I thought so too. Some are not attached to the moldy groups. Will try to separate and put into a different container - I'm almost thinking those nice glass vials in my API kits, I have a spare that hasn't been used.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Have you been changing the water? I've got cory eggs I've been doing this with and so far, so good.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Edit: Kpainter, I changed the water daily with tank water.

These are the free-floating eggs that 1) are still green 2) seemed not to have mold 3) sunk with weight instead of wafting around like the dead eggs. They are in a clean API vial.

Also I got another vial and placed the four most alive, looking-the-least-affected, sinks with weight eggs from the big cluster that had a main mold problem. I guess they're a kind of control, to see how viable the free-floating (free range? :p ) eggs are vs the ones still living in the cluster. I didn't trust putting them into the same vial as the other eggs.

·
Registered
342 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts