Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Potted plants for aquarium?

5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  redchigh 
#1 ·
I've read on getting plants potted in my aquarium by using soil but i'm troubled.
I'm worried that the soil will just disperse and pollute the aquarium, I've got the plant sorted out and everything but it's rootless so it's hard to keep anchored in the gravel...
Is there a special type of soil i need to get for the plant if it were to be potted?
Help :)

It's hornwort btw so low demand

#2 ·
Soil will not benefit stem plants much, so i would not bother; a layer of soil under a layer of fine gravel is not as simple as plain gravel, and the possible [=usually probable] issues soil causes are not easy for everyone.

The cut end of the stems should be inserted down into the gravel sufficient to hold the stems. A small rock or two at the base will help, but unless the gravel is very large sized the stems should remain.

Reactions: HMlairy
#3 · (Edited)
Soil substrates can be difficult.. but for more information, I wrote a guide on soil substrates.

It's in my signature.

Potting plants can be a good way to get the benefits of soil without ovehrauling a tank.
Of course, byron is right. Hornwort is a stem plant and would likely not recieve much of a benefit.

I would reccomend proper lighting and Flourish Comprehensive (an aquarium plant fertiliser)

There is no real type of soil you have to use... Some people use soil from their yard. I prefer miracle grow "Organic Choice" potting soil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.