Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a couple days ago i noticed that one of my platies had a bent spine, after being completely normal for the (almost) year I'd had him. I searched it up and thought that he might have TB. I moved him to an empty, cycled 1.5 gallon to see if he'd get better, and to potentially prevent it from spreading.
Today, I woke up and saw that one of my guppies had suddenly died, and one of my other platies was laying on the gravel, slightly tilted, breathing rapidly.
One of my zebra danios also had a slightly curved back. I've moved the other platy into the 1.5 gallon now, since its the only spare, cycled tank I have.

1. Size of tank? 20 gallon

2. Water parameters (today is a water change day, so these parameters are from a couple days ago)
a. Ammonia? 0 ppm
b. Nitrite? 0 ppm
c. Nitrate? 40 ppm
d. pH, KH and GH? N/A
e. Test kit? API Master Kit

3. Temperature? 78°F

4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)? Freshwater

5. How long the aquarium has been set up? About a year

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
469 Posts
So a couple days ago i noticed that one of my platies had a bent spine, after being completely normal for the (almost) year I'd had him. I searched it up and thought that he might have TB. I moved him to an empty, cycled 1.5 gallon to see if he'd get better, and to potentially prevent it from spreading.
Today, I woke up and saw that one of my guppies had suddenly died, and one of my other platies was laying on the gravel, slightly tilted, breathing rapidly.
One of my zebra danios also had a slightly curved back. I've moved the other platy into the 1.5 gallon now, since its the only spare, cycled tank I have.

2. Water parameters (today is a water change day, so these parameters are from a couple days ago)
a. Ammonia? 0 ppm
b. Nitrite? 0 ppm
c. Nitrate? 40 ppm
d. pH, KH and GH? N/A

3. Temperature? 78°F

Hard to say from the information you've provided, especially without any current pictures of the fish you are talking about. What are the rest of your water parameters? What makes you think it's Tuberculosis besides the curved spines?

·
Registered
6 Posts

a. Ammonia? 0 ppm
b. Nitrite? 0 ppm
c. Nitrate? 40 ppm
d. pH, KH and GH? N/A

3. Temperature? 78°F

I had a similar scenario with my 90ltr tank, had happy assortment of fish but then 4 Platy died. They are sensitive to changes in water quality. I had rinsed 3 filter sponges out under the tap the day before! I now scoop the tank water into a jug and rinse the filters in that. Never had a problem since. Hope this helps. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts