Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

A few weeks ago, I had 5 tiger barbs in a 29 gallon with 3 kuhli loaches and a rainbow stiphodon. This was my first time keeping tiger barbs and I don't think I'll try it again. They did the normal barb thing of establishing pecking order, but all that nipping eventually lead to fin rot for at least two - despite 20% water changes and parameter testing. Those two improved with salt treatments but eventually passed. I lost another two to what I believe to be temperature fluctuations (my heater died and I bought another that works VERY well, so a took a bit to get the temp back under control) exacerbated by nipping and aggression. Literally, one day they were swimming and eating normally and the next they were dead. The remaining barb looks well, if not a little fat (he's only sharing the flake food with the stiphodon, after all. I only feed every other day), but I don't know if I should wait to see if he goes too or attempt to get him some tank mates.

Water testing before and after the barbs' death showed a presence of nitrates (about 10ppm) but nothing else egregious. Again, I suspect stress and temp fluctuations. The remaining fish in the tank are doing well and swimming and eating normally. I'm continuing with regular 20% water changes and testing. Any suggestions as to what I could try next? Pretty certain I'm over barbs and I'm no longer interested in tetras, since their natures are very similar. I'm considering a pair of ornamental fish but not if they won't get along with the current stock. Alternatively, should I just wait a few more weeks to see what happens with the barb? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Take the tiger barb back to the store when you decide what new stock you want. It’s got no business being in a community tank alone - the other fish will likely be quite stressed.

I think you should try cherry barbs. Much, much better suited to what you want.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Excuse my ignorance, but is it typical to exchange fish? I haven't tried it before. Also, I think I'm done with schooling fish altogether, because I think I'll end up needing more than I can comfortably fit in my 29 gallon.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
It’s all good - none of us were born with the knowledge we have. Yeah it’s typical for people to give fish up, because people are often sold the wrong fish. Petsmart doesnt do it though, so go to a private place.

You can keep a nice big school as long as they are small fish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts