Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a trochus snail a few days ago. He seems to be doing well but while watching him in the tank tonight, I noticed a terrifying worm-looking thing peek its head out from under the rock. After a quick Google search, I’ve discovered that it’s most likely a bristleworm. I’ve seen some people saying that they’re helpful and some that warn to remove it from the tank immediately. The trochus snail is the only thing in my tank right now so luckily I don’t have to worry about any other animals. Still, I’m quite nervous about him. Will the worm attack him??? He’s just now getting used to his new home and I’d hate to see him go. I’ve attached the best image I could take of the work but its pretty bad quality. It has a pinkish body with white spikes on it and doesn’t seem to be very big. Just for reference, it’s lurking in a crevice near the bottom of the rock while my trochus is on the top. So basically what I’m asking is: is this thing dangerous? If so, what’s the best way to remove it? And WILL IT HURT MY TROCHUS?
Vertebrate Organism Underwater Coral Stony coral

·
Registered
10g: 8 young golden Dalmatian mollies 1 neon tetra 2 nerite snails 10g: 2 nerites, soon molies fr t1
173 Posts
My instincts say to take it out now, unless you want more of them. Most aquatic invertebrates breed like crazy.
That’s not to say it’s necessarily harmful. It might be helpful. But it clearly isn’t essential, because I’ve been fine without them.

·
Registered
10g: 8 young golden Dalmatian mollies 1 neon tetra 2 nerite snails 10g: 2 nerites, soon molies fr t1
173 Posts
Grab it? Like with your hand or a net?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I’ve never actually interacted with one of these guys. The reason I was saying to take him out was a better safe than sorry kind of thing. I honestly don’t really know. Sorry. Maybe see if YouTube has something. Or just the internet in general.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ve never actually interacted with one of these guys. The reason I was saying to take him out was a better safe than sorry kind of thing. I honestly don’t really know. Sorry. Maybe see if YouTube has something. Or just the internet in general.
You’re good. After more research I’ve discovered that he’s not a fireworm and is therefore beneficial so I’m gonna leave him for now. He’s creepy though!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Glad to hear it worked out. Occurred to me you could pull the rock out? That’s if you still want him out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts