Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I’ve had a betta fish for over almost two years now. He’s a male half moon and he lives with an aquatic mystery snail. He used to live in a 3.5 gallon tank but I moved him to a 6 gallon tank a few months ago. A couple weeks ago I noticed some white stuff on his back and I was very concerned. He acted normal like it didn’t bother him at all. Recently he’s been having trouble swimming and he can’t leave the bottom floor. I’ve researched this to be a swim bladder infection and I’ve been treating it with peas. Now I’m wondering if maybe the two could be connected?? I’m thinking that the white spot is a fungal infection and I want to know how to treat it. The internet says API pimafix or bettafix but I’ve heard that both of those can kill betta fish. I’m currently treating it with aquarium salt and peas. Any advice?
P.s. we did have a large problem with algae for a month or two and that might be related.
Update: I ran some tests and I found out the Ammonia is 0.25 and the PH is 7.6+ (the test doesn’t go any higher). I have pictures of the fish below if your curios of what the white spot looks like.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Algae have nothing to do with this. Never use bettafix or pimafix to treat illness in labirynth fish like bettas or gouramis as these contain oils and any meds containing oils, they suffocate them. Stop using salt and peas to treat this, bettas cannot digest peas and will make them constipated. Salt will make tank water harder and will stress him. How are you even sure its swim bladder? Photos of him and the white patch? Sounds like he may have columnaris. What are your water parameters? Please do post exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Do an immediate 80% water change with water dechlorinator.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Algae have nothing to do with this. Never use bettafix or pimafix to treat illness in labirynth fish like bettas or gouramis as these contain oils and any meds containing oils, they suffocate them. Stop using salt and peas to treat this, bettas cannot digest peas and will make them constipated. Salt will make tank water harder and will stress him. How are you even sure its swim bladder? Photos of him and the white patch? Sounds like he may have columnaris. What are your water parameters? Please do post exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Do an immediate 80% water change with water dechlorinator.
image.jpg

Here is a photo of him- you can clearly see the white spot on his Here is a photo of him- you can clearly see the white spot on his back. Every time he tries to swim up he just sinks back down so he’s just staying at the bottom. I can do some Amonia, PH and Nitrates tests if that would help. I do know that the tank water is exactly at 80 degrees right now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update:
I’ve just tested everything and the ammonia is 0.25, I think that’s pretty high, and the PH is 7.6+ (it doesn’t go any higher) and I think that is also too high. I’ll add some PH decrease to try and get it down. Based on these results do you have an idea what could be wrong?

·
Registered
366 Posts
my betta did good with kosher salt, he got fin rot so i treated him with it I recommend trying it, it worked for me. Ive never actually tried the pea thing so i cant really say anything but yeah. this is my betta:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts