Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an Aqueon 15 gallon set-up with an automatic heater. According to two different thermometers, the water is not in the "ideal" green area, and is only about 68-70 degrees, which I think is not warm enough for my angelfish. My question is should I have the heater completely submerged (as in part of the cord in the water)? Seems unsafe to have an electrical cord in the water, but the instructions suggest that the heater can also be positioned horizontally, which would obviously have the cord in the water. Instructions give a minimum water level, but not a maximum. Thanks.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Temp is way too low for an angelfish. Should be around 78F (77-81). If it says fully submersible, then yes the cord can be in the water, just make sure there's a drip line. If it was too far out of the water it may have burned out. You need to slowly heat up the tank over 24hrs. I would keep an eye on the heater just in case it did break. Maybe put the heater in a bucket of water and see if the water warms up. Add warmer dechlorinated water to the tank, slowly over time to raise the temp if need be.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts