Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have two plecos in my tank (just over 2 inches ATM) and I am looking for a positive id as I've been given some conflicting information.

They were bought together, from the same tank and have different colouration and markings. Here's a few pics of them both.....

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's a closer shot of the light coloured one.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Looks like bristlenose plecos, though wouldn't be sure if they were the same species (I guess there are several). The darker one looks more typical.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Mike,

The first picture seems to have different markings to mine, but the second does look quite similar. It's quite hard to tell as they are quite small at the moment still.

Oh - and there are no whiskers on either of the fish.

Thanks for the info :D

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I have three bristlenoses all around 2 1/2" long. None of them have bristles yet. The place I got them from, though, has a pair of pleco fanatics on staff, and these fellows came from a fellow who had just bred them. From my research into this, I am given to understand that bristlenoses don't really get their bristles until they're at least 3" long. That said, the lighter one has patterning very much liike two of mine, and the little barbles high on the head are just about the same as on the ones I have too.

Pretty sure they're bristlenoses, you lucky duck, you. Sweet little fish they are.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that tophat :)

I really do love them - I'd love to get some different varieties as well, but will have to do some research first.

I've heard that only male bristlies develop bristles - anyone know if that's true?

K :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yes, only the males will develop the large spiky 'bristles' on their face. I've read that the females may develop some small ones, but not nearly to the extent of the males.

Just noticed a few days ago that my 'baby' bristlenose has grown up -- and its a he! Just started getting his bristles, he's about 3" long, and about 2 and half years old. Wonder how tolerant mom and dad will be now that he's getting bigger...

·
Registered
620 Posts
I just have to put in that your pleco's are BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!! Love em!

·
Registered
154 Posts
katherine73 said:

I really do love them - I'd love to get some different varieties as well, but will have to do some research first.

I've heard that only male bristlies develop bristles - anyone know if that's true?

I have seen females with a small amount of bristles just not nearly as much as the male.
BTW, I'm not an expert, but they look like young bristlenose to me as well...
Nice little fish!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Look's like they are common Bristlenose to me even the bottom one as they sometime's get that colouration on them. They dont start to get bristle's on there face until about 5 to 6 cm if they are male.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Pretty sure that are ancistrus sp. 3 or ya common bn

The mottled looking one is how mine appears with its 'stress' colouration

hth

·
Registered
158 Posts
katherine73 said:

This is a female Ancistrus SP3

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks very much Rob :D

I saw the picture of your sp.3 earlier and realised that they are the same. Mine is about 2 inches at the moment, but doesn't have any bristles yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts