Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Please help with suggestions and recommendations

23K views 217 replies 10 participants last post by  musho3210 
#1 ·
I'm very new to the whole aquarium thing, but am fascinated by it. I've decided to try out this adventure with a new 29 gallon set up. The plan is to set it up today so it can run for a bit before adding any fish, giving me time to do more research and ideas on the what to add. I'm basing it on compatibility and stocking levels.
I've been doing a lot of research as far as starting up, and came across this forum. Seems like just what I need! I've learned so much so far, but I'm just beginning so I need all the help I can get.
I understand that you should let your tank run at least 48 hours before adding anything. I've heard varying time frames though. Some say upwards of a week. Which do you think is best and why? I don't want to rush things and cause problems, so I'm willing to hear suggestions and ideas!
I also heard you should start with a few hardy fish, then gradually work your way up as your tank stabilizes. What would be the best recommendations?
I am confused and need some straightening out! This probably sounds so dumb, but I need to clear up any confusion I have. What is the difference between cories, loaches, and plecos? Can they be put together? Should they be paired up in any way? Do they get along with most fish?

It's a 29 gallon freshwater. I don't really like goldfish, so I'm hoping for a more "exotic" tropical type theme. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you.

See less See more
#52 ·
musho3210 said:
DO NOT GET A RED TAIL SHARK, THEY NEED LIKE 1000 GALLON TANKS!!!

Red tail sharks arent peacefull and they grow very very very big. Do not get these for a 29 gallon tank. I dont think a 29 gallon can fit any sharks....
I was positive you're referring to Red-tailed catfish, rather than Red-tailed black shark.:)
29 gallons is ok as long as there are lots of hiding places provided for it to stake a territory but I will warn you that with a labeo, it limits your choices of fish as they get quite aggressive.:shake:

#53 ·
The danios are doing well and seem very active and healthy still.
Once everything is properly cycled, I'd like to add some bigger fish(bigger than danios, but not huge of course). I like neon tetras, but again they're pretty small.
What are some good compatible fish to add into a tank with danios, tetras and bottom dwellers? I prefer colorful fish, but of course am open to any and all suggestions and colored species. Also, how many tetras should I add? Do they do better in groups of odd or even numbers(5 opposed to 6 etc)?
Other than the tetras and danios, I'm curious about fish that don't need a school, and can do well either alone or as a pair of their own type.
Hope that made sense.

#58 ·
Neons should be fine. Don't worry about NTD. It rarely occurs. As long as you maintain the tank well, you don't have to worry about diseases, etc.:)

Try lemon tetras, diamond tetras and beacon tetras. Nice fish.:love: :thumbsup:

#60 ·
Blue said:
Neons should be fine. Don't worry about NTD. It rarely occurs. As long as you maintain the tank well, you don't have to worry about diseases, etc.:)

Try lemon tetras, diamond tetras and beacon tetras. Nice fish.:love: :thumbsup:
I lost 3 of my last 10 neons to NTD. They just have to be isloated IMMEDIATELY when you suspect they have it, and it won't spread. Not a big deal in a 99 cent schooling fish (sucks to be the fish, mind you).

#61 ·
tophat665 said:
I lost 3 of my last 10 neons to NTD. They just have to be isloated IMMEDIATELY when you suspect they have it, and it won't spread. Not a big deal in a 99 cent schooling fish (sucks to be the fish, mind you).
I was not saying that if there is NTD, leave it alone. Of course, you have to remove the afflicted or suspected fish immediately. NTD rarely happens but if suspected, then isolation here it goes. NTD can happen but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just get along with tank maintenance rather than trying to think about NTD which could destroy your pleasures of enjoying the hobby.

#63 ·
NTD is specific to neon tetras, however... there are a few other diseases that are very similar and those will hit guppys, white clouds, and a few other species of fish. The symptoms are all similar, and the cause/effect is also similar.

As Blue said, it is highly contageous, and the only way to get rid of it is to euthanize the fish afflicted, and to do so as soon as possible. There is no cure or even treatment for NTD.

#65 ·
Hi Dana.:wave:

What's your stocking plan so far?:mrgreen:

Hope everything goes well.:)

#66 ·
Hi Blue! :D
Well I've still been having some trouble with a stocking plan. With so much info to go through, it gets overwhelming.
I was thinking of adding a pair of gouramis. Either thick lipped or kissing. Thick lipped I heard are among the best for community tanks, tending to be tolerant of a wide range of conditions and companions. The kissing I thought were pretty cool also, but don't know if they'd do well in my tank.

Bottom dwellers I haven't quite figured out yet. I don't want anything real small, and obviously not huge. I want them a decent size though. I guess also I'm trying to figure out if I could get coris and another bottom dweller(or more)?
I do like the neon or cardinal tetras, although I don't know if they are worth the risk of NTD. I understand if I keep up on other things, it sounds like a small chance.
Again, I'm going to bring up the red tailed black shark. Apparently it's not really a shark, grows to be around 5 inches and is generally good in a community tank. Does anybody have one of these, or can give me more info?
Okay, back to looking up more fish and seeing who goes with what!
I have another question regarding my current school of 6 danios. The one(which is the biggest) is going around, chasing every single other guy. It's as if he's claimed the entire tank somehow. It seems constant and literally, he will chase every single one, not just one or a few. I'm guessing it's not playful, but how would I know for sure? No ones tail fins seems harmed as of yet. No one is hiding or staying away, they all seem to swim all over, they just constantly get chased by the one bully. Is this pretty normal? Or , as always, is this something that goes against the general rules!

#67 ·
hi
your Danio is top of the pecking order,and is letting the others know,
i had the same problem a few years back,i took the little
blighter back to the shop,and all was calm,the others got along
just fine.
I wouls advise you to stay away from the RTBS,
although i cannot speak from experiance(sp)
i don't think i have come across a fish keeper yet
that has not had a problem with them being agressive.
:)

#68 ·
Can you have 1 or 2 small plecos with cories?
I would like something that spends most of the time bottom feeding or on the glass, and also some corys in my tank.

As far as bottom dwellers go:
As suggested previously, I've been interested in the bulldog pleco(max size is 5 inches), along with the pit bull pleco (max siz is 2.5 inches). I also like leopard cory, green laser cory, and sterbas cory. I am confused about the gold nugget pleco. It seems they gro to about 6inches, but I was under the inpression they got bigger. Would they do okay with other bottom dwellers or not because of their size or other reasons?

Does anyone have banded rummy nose tetra?

So here we go again:

see above for bottom dweller choices

school of 6-8 neon tetras (should it be the same number that are in the school of danios, or doesn't it matter?)

kuhlii loach

pair of gouramis (kissing vs thick lipped)

+/- rummy nose tetras (just a thought for right now)

As I said before, this is just a rough idea of what I would be interested in getting. Don't be too harsh :) :oops:

#70 ·
Okay I feel like an idiot now! :oops: I wish when I was looking into the kissing gouramis , it clearly stated that! Yikes. Ah well. Better to know before than after!
So what about the thick lipped ones? Know anything bad or what would be considered crucial info on them? I will look into dwarf gouramis also and see if anything strikes me.

How does the list look otherwise?

#73 ·
DanaJ said:
I do like the neon or cardinal tetras, although I don't know if they are worth the risk of NTD. I understand if I keep up on other things, it sounds like a small chance.
Cardinals would be your better choice if you don't like neons.:) Cardinals apparently are immune to NTD so have a go with this one.:)
Again, I'm going to bring up the red tailed black shark. Apparently it's not really a shark, grows to be around 5 inches and is generally good in a community tank. Does anybody have one of these, or can give me more info?
RTBS are pretty territorial and in a 29 gallons tank, it can easily harass other tankmates so best to leave it for a 55 gallons where there is more space for it to stake out territories.
Does anyone have banded rummy nose tetra?
I haven't heard of banded rummies. There are 3 species you can look into. Hard to explain the differences.:shake:
Petitella georgiae
Hemigrammus rhodostomus
Hemigrammus bleheri

#74 ·
I had no idea that cardinals were immune to NTD.
I had thought neons would be better because they seem more hardy than the cardinals. From my understanding the cardinals are more sensitive? Maybe I got that mixed up!
I like both as far as colors go, so I still have time to decide:)

#76 ·
Thanks for the link musho. Still looking at the other varieties. The reason I was deciding between the neon and cardinal tetras were because I've always found their colorings striking, and it seems like overall they both tend to be good beginner fish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.