Tropical Fish Keeping banner
161 - 180 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
I might go with a botia angelicus if you think it will be okay:)
So otos don't absolutely need to be in groups. That's good to know. Right now I'm not too impressed with the otos though, compared to the small plecos I previously mentioned. The options of a single, pair, or group help a lot! Is there an algea eater that is comparable in size to the plecos mentioned above? Maybe 4-5inches?
Moving on to cory cats. I'm going back and seeing what varieties are out there and which might be ideal/best for me right now.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
How does this look?

3 cory cats
a couple dwarf chain loaches OR 1 botia angelicus
otocinclus (amount?)
1 blue coral platy
1 gold twinbar platy
cardinal tetras

I don't know about amounts here...

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
hmm, thats good, i think you shouldnt get the dwarf laoch. I think you should get the angelicus. The reason is stricly financial. THe dwarf loach is a rare species, they tend to be a lot more money and are hard to find. It would be terrible if these died and you spent that money for such a little bit of excitement. If you are confident and have money to spare, go ahead and get the dwarf loach.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
How many cardinals do you want? 10 should be ok. As for otos, I'd get 2-3. What gender will the platies be? Keep them using a sex ratio of one male to 2-3 females.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I'm going to elaborate again, sorry my posts are so long.

For starters, I agree with the loach choice, stick with the botia angelicus. They are not as aggressive as some of the others can be, and if planning to keep corys with the loach, you're going to need A LOT of territory down low in the tank, so everyone has plenty of territory.

For plecos, the only really "small" pleco for that size of a tank is the pit bull pleco, and again, I would only add 1 pleco. If you want multiple algae eaters then stick to the otos. The otos are much slower growing, and they do eat a lot without bothering the plants. Otos are known to eat some of the hair types of algaes that other "algae eaters" won't touch. Their more varied diet accomplishes two things: healthier fish and a much cleaner tank.
The last tank I kept otos in was a 30 gallon. I had 3 of them in there for many yrs (at least 6), and I never had to scrape the glass. That was my 30 gallon show tank, and they shared it with algae eating shrimp, 1 clown loach, a few mollies and white clouds, a single diamond tetra, and 2 black tetras (all the fish were orphans). The tank was fully planted, and I had to pull/trim java moss every two weeks to keep it from taking over the entire tank. I had rock structures along the entire tank, built quite high in places, and everything thrived. My maintenance level was nil... I did a water change about once/month and my nitrates were always below 20. The fish ate every other day. It was my easiest and best tank until I found homes for all of the fish, eventually.
Anyways, the point is, I never had to scrape glass with those guys, they did all the work for me. I have only had 2 types of pleco that did such a thorough job, and only one of those was somewhat plant safe, and neither small enough to keep in your tank.

As for your current list:
3 cory cats
a couple dwarf chain loaches OR 1 botia angelicus
otocinclus (amount?)
1 blue coral platy
1 gold twinbar platy
cardinal tetras
If only going with 1 of each of the platys, go with both males. Then you will avoid breeding issues (unless you intend to set up another tank for fry and have an outlet for them within a few - 6 months) this would be the best choice. If you intend to breed, please do this much research about the breeding habits, too. They breed ALOT!!! Thus, with habits as they have, 2 females for each male is the ratio to keep. There is a thread here somewhere that I posted a picture into to help identify male from female. Maybe Blue can help to find it for us?

Watch the cardinals with the platys, and with the water params. With cardinals you'll need softer water, (the otos and pit bull pleco will also thrive in softer water... pH about 6.5 is good) but you may need to acclimate them a bit longer, depending on what conditions they are coming from. Many LFS's don't provide softer water for them, and the survival rate is low. For the fish that do go home, the change from low pH to high pH and back to low is usually too much for them, and they die within a few days. If its the color you're after, the neons would be your better choice, and the neons should be fine with the platys and softer water, too.

3 cory cats is a good number, it sounds as if you're narrowing things down. Keep in mind that with corys and loach in the same tank, they will compete for food, you'll need to make sure everyone gets enough without making a mess of your tank.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
bettababy said:
Maybe Blue can help to find it for us?
My pleasure.:wink2:
I circled the fin you want to look for in red. In a female livebearer, that fin appears as the one in the picture. In the male fish, that fin is long and pointed, and usually held up against the body.
I hope that helps!
:thumbsup: :brow:
Watch the cardinals with the platys, and with the water params. With cardinals you'll need softer water, (the otos and pit bull pleco will also thrive in softer water... pH about 6.5 is good) but you may need to acclimate them a bit longer, depending on what conditions they are coming from. Many LFS's don't provide softer water for them, and the survival rate is low. For the fish that do go home, the change from low pH to high pH and back to low is usually too much for them, and they die within a few days. If its the color you're after, the neons would be your better choice, and the neons should be fine with the platys and softer water, too.
I'd prefer not to mix platies and cardinals.:shake: IMO, it's best to keep species of fish with the same requirements in a tank than mixing fish with various requirements wherein one suffers while the other doesn't.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Im sorry but i have to say this. I just fed my fish just then, 5 danios, 4 crisps, and since they hadnt eaten yesterday the went crazy over the food before it was able to sink to the shrimp. So i took half an algae crisp (the crisps are circular flakefood around one and a half millimeters in diameter (very small). I put this half algae crisp and layed it at the bottom of the tank near the glass under my java moss. The java moss was to thick for my fish to get under but not my shrimp. Immediatly i saw my shrimp go and eat this crisp. It was the coolest thing i saw. It mashed up the flake in small pieces and used to claws and picked it up. Then it put it in its mouth. You could see the stomach slowly fill up with pale yelloy stuff (the food). You could see it getting bigger and even rippling as the food is digested. I have never seen anything cooling in my life. sadly only one shrimp got to it and it fought off any shrimp that tried to go near its meal. so only one shrimp was fed today, hopefully my fish missed some of the food...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
Okay, I'll probably go with the botia angelicus loach.
I guess from what you've said, I should lay off the pleco idea until I have a different set up. It will be okay.
Your comment about how low your maintnence was with the otos, was astonishing and very appealing more than anything. I really want something that is going to be that productive and on top of things. I guess now I know for sure, otos will be a part of my tank!

I have no intention of breeding the platys, or anything else for the time being. So 2 males would definately be ideal, and is exactly what I had in mind.

The reason I said cardinal tetras, was because originally I thought neons would be the better choice, but after reading a lot of replies, it seemed like I was swayed to cardinals in the end.... Now I'm just confused. I love their striking color, which is the main reason I was interested in either cardinals or neons. Could I replace them with green fire tetras, or no? I really like the colors schemes of the neons though.

With the botia loach and the corys, do you think 3 is too much? Could I do just 2. If I go with otos, should I do 3 (or less?).
So yes, I've given up on the plecos for now. I definately want otos and corys though. You've sold me on otos:)

musho- amazing about the shrimp! I wish I could have seen that.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
i'll try and make a video next time. Also yes 3 cories is pushing it with your tank, but 2 cories are no fun, they will not show you their normal behavior unless there are more than 2. I still say get three but you will have to do more water changes, like twice a week, 25% water changes, otherwise nitrates will raise too fast.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
Here is a question about levels.
I've been testing the tank on a schedule of every other day since adding the danios. The first reading(jan 4th) was: pH 7.6 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 and Nitrate 10

With each test the nitrate levels dropped slightly.
The most recent test, which was just completed now, read: pH 7.2 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 and Nitrate 5. I'm guessing this is good, or at least headed in the right direction?

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
yes, i think there might have been some things in your first setup, maybe some nitrates were added somehow, but its good how your nitrite and ammonia is staying low, my ones are peaking at the moment

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
hmm, if you have a planted aquarium it shouldnt be that bad since the plants eat nitrates. I still would suggest some java moss as a begginer or even the only plant in the aquarium.

Would you mind telling me what things you add to your water:
What dechlorinator
What food
If you are adding bacterial supplements (not needed but can be good)
What filter and model number are you using
What test kit are you using

Since we both are cycling right now and we both are begginers and we both have danios, i think we can relate easier

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
'Tis odd that Dana's tank cycled faster if Dana indeed added an established filter media to seed the tank so there would be enough bacteria to convert ammonia into nitrites and nitrites into nitrates.

That's the exact result of water parameters that you should have in the end. Any detectable ammonia and nitrites can harm or kill your fish.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
well dana got luck, i have a 2.0 nitrite level at the moment, then i did a water change, i havent checked on it since. My ammonia is at zero and my nitrates are at 5.0 Im well into my 4th week of having this tank. I used stress zyme when my ammonia was at 1.0. It went down to .25 the next day. But established filter/gravel is better than adding chemicals. Im just lucky im using danios, they are extremly hardy and just wipe off the ammonia poisoning right off their shoulders.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
musho3210 said:
well dana got luck, i have a 2.0 nitrite level at the moment, then i did a water change, i havent checked on it since. My ammonia is at zero and my nitrates are at 5.0 Im well into my 4th week of having this tank. I used stress zyme when my ammonia was at 1.0. It went down to .25 the next day. But established filter/gravel is better than adding chemicals
Great job though, Musho.:thumbsup: You're doing well with cycling. At least you make sure that the tank will be safe to a lot of fish at the end of the day.:)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
So I'm doing really well them?! YAY!
We filled and set up the tank on New Years day. Let it run until thursday the 4th. That was the day I bought the 6 danios. So tomorrow it will be a week since adding the danios, and 11 days since setting up.
Does this mean I can progress to the next step of adding in something? When do I do that?

musho, i'll get you the details to your questions. I don't know what dechlorinator I used. It was one that came with the tank. Dose for 30 gallons. That's all I know.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
hmm, every time you change water you must add a dechlorinator to the new water before you add it to your tank. So having some dechlorinator on hand is always good. I use prime and it works really well. You have had lots of people help you, all i had was a book when i started my aquarium, but at least none of my fish died

Good dechlorinator products:
Prime
Stress coat

Bad ones:
Top fin GRRR!!!

When your trying to get dechlorinators, make sure you chose one on how many gallons it treats, not how much liquid is in it. Also get one that comes with a stress coat to protect the fish.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·
Blue said:
'Tis odd that Dana's tank cycled faster if Dana indeed added an established filter media to seed the tank so there would be enough bacteria to convert ammonia into nitrites and nitrites into nitrates.

What exactly do you mean by that?

161 - 180 of 218 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.