Tropical Fish Keeping banner
141 - 160 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
DanaJ said:
If I did choose a loach, particularly the botia, would there be a point to having a cory cat? Should I pick one or the other? I'd like maybe 2 small plecos(pit bull, and bulldog). I guess I really just need to figure out the bottom feeder and algea eater scheme and what would be reasonable.
Lol..You're having too many choices for bottom dwellers.:crazy: Which one do you like?:) Cories are fun, loaches are exciting, otos can consume algae, some plecs are pretty.:thumbsup:
Also I forgot to add something. I don't know if my gravel is fine enough for the kuhlii. Would that mean it wouldn't be idea to have the botia either?
I'm more concern about the kuhlis as they tend to dig under the substrate.:) If the substrate is sharp, your kuhlis will injure them easily and same goes with the cories' barbels. The plecs may suffer scratches on their underside part and the loaches mostly on the underside.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
If you are working with the standard size gravel, found in most LFS's in a wide range of colors, the botia loach should be fine, but may eat the shrimp. The botias tend to stay above the gravel and hide more in cave settings and under the edges of rocks and drift wood, in plants, etc.

The angelicus botia will get about 5 inches long full grown, so if you wish to keep the shrimp with the loach, I would suggest A LOT of java moss and other dense plants down low along the gravel line, spread over as much of the bottom of the tank as possible. I've seen it done, (keeping both together), but it's not an easy task.

The same thing will apply with the corys, but they are less aggressive than the loach, so the chances of making the shrimp work with one or the other, I'd choose the corys, personally.

With the shrimp, I agree about the slow stocking, especially in a newer tank. Shrimp are extremely sensitive to water quality and it doesn't take much to kill them... just a small ammonia or nitrite spike would do it. I usually advise waiting until the end of stocking before adding shrimp and/or bottom feeders. This avoids the problems that can come with spikes in water parms due to new additions to the tank, and it also allows a natural food supply to begin building in the tank, ensuring that these animals are getting plenty of food without having to increase feedings (and thus, fluctuate water quality).

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
This is why I like to have a bigger than possible list! There always seems to be a conflict, hence narrowing down my options and/or leading me to create a whole new proposed list:-D
It's okay though, I'm learning a lot, and the information can't hurt. Especially before adding the fish:)

So the botia could eat the shrimp hmm... The kuhlii loach is definately out. If I need multiple cory cats, that might be out too. I'm kinda stuck on the pit bull and bulldog plecos(1 of each).

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Kuhlis don't eat shrimps. Any shrimp is fine with them. 'Tis the shrimps with large claws I'd be worry about.:blueshake: Some species have large claws and they should be avoided especially the crayfish. I'd recommend Botia sidthimunki, better known as Dwarf Chain Loach and the kuhlis if the shrimps you're going to keep are smaller species. Ghost shrimps can do well with Botia almorhae and Botia kubotai.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
Blue, the loaches you mentioned all look great. I'm just concerned as they all seem to need to be in groups. Is that right?
I'd like to get them, but I'm not sure if it would be possible in this tank, depending on what I decided to put in there.
Here's another question: Since they need to be in groups, would it be ideal or even okay to have 1 of each of the 3 or 4 mentioned?
I thought the shrimp would be cool, but if it is going to prohibit certain fish I might hold off. Again, it all depends on the latest proposed list:)

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
musho3210 said:
hmm, i have a 20 gallon high aquarium, what kind of bottom dwellers can i have?, my info is in my siggy.
You can have either cories or kuhlis.:) 3-4 Dwarf Chain Loaches should be ok. They grow to almost 2 inches so that's fairly small and should be fine in a 20 gallons high. I prefer the long one for them though.:)

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
DanaJ said:
Here's another question: Since they need to be in groups, would it be ideal or even okay to have 1 of each of the 3 or 4 mentioned?
You can but this limits your other choices like the otos and plecs. I'd avoid the plecs anyway. They are big waste producers and this will require you more water changes.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
hmm, what kind of cory would suit me? do you need a picture of my tank so you can see how big it is etc. What about ottos, would they be alright in my tank? I have standard aquarium gravel, its not sand, and its not pebbles, its gravel. Hmm i wouldnt say there sharp either but there not smooth

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
musho3210 said:
hmm, what kind of cory would suit me? do you need a picture of my tank so you can see how big it is etc. What about ottos, would they be alright in my tank? I have standard aquarium gravel, its not sand, and its not pebbles, its gravel. Hmm i wouldnt say there sharp either but there not smooth
Ok. I'll look for your pic.:)

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Heres the tank. As you can see there are plenty of hiding spots and plants for shy fish. The plants at the back are fake (they look pretty real though.... and the green stuff on my cave is real java moss.)

My tank has double the filtration which means my filters can work up to a 40 gallon tank (two 20 gallon filters equal one 40 gallon filter)

Heres the gravel, you might notice my little shrimpy

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
I wouldn't get the kuhlis. The gravel seems far too large for them to be able to dig under. But pictures don't do the tanks justice anyway.:dunno:

Go with cories. As long as your gravel does not have sharp edges, they'll be fine. Same goes with the dwarf chain loaches.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
DanaJ said:
Are even the small plecos(pit bull and bulldog) big waste producers?
I was kinda stuck on those, and still am :cry:
Yes, Dana.:) All species of plecs are considered to be big waste producers. Even the bristlenose can poo a lot.:shake:

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
musho3210 said:
What type of cory specifically. Im kinda low on money so i would like one not exceeding around 5-7 dollars. But if your unsure about the price just tell me whats good for my tank
If you are prepared for delicate species, panda cories are for you. There is Corydoras hastatus which is also fairly small.
You might want to try peppered or sterbai cories.:)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
If the plecos will create a lot of waste, then maybe I really shouldn't get them now.
Are otocinculus considered algae eaters? If so, maybe that's what I should get, along with cory cats? Do otos need to be in groups? Can loaches go with them?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Dana,
Yes, otos can be put into the tank in groups, but they don't NEED groups. While some of the loaches do better in groups, not all of them NEED groups, either. I have kept single loaches in tanks, and never had a problem other than they hide a bit more often, tending to come out more at night (they do this in a group, too).

Otos and loaches can mix just fine. In that tank, I wouldn't put more than 3 - 4 otos, and for the loaches, sizes/species of them will determine how many can go in safely. With the botia angelicus, one loach is fine.

141 - 160 of 218 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.