Tropical Fish Keeping banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
hmm, what kind of cory would suit me? do you need a picture of my tank so you can see how big it is etc. What about ottos, would they be alright in my tank? I have standard aquarium gravel, its not sand, and its not pebbles, its gravel. Hmm i wouldnt say there sharp either but there not smooth

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Heres the tank. As you can see there are plenty of hiding spots and plants for shy fish. The plants at the back are fake (they look pretty real though.... and the green stuff on my cave is real java moss.)

My tank has double the filtration which means my filters can work up to a 40 gallon tank (two 20 gallon filters equal one 40 gallon filter)

Heres the gravel, you might notice my little shrimpy

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
hmm, thats good, i think you shouldnt get the dwarf laoch. I think you should get the angelicus. The reason is stricly financial. THe dwarf loach is a rare species, they tend to be a lot more money and are hard to find. It would be terrible if these died and you spent that money for such a little bit of excitement. If you are confident and have money to spare, go ahead and get the dwarf loach.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Im sorry but i have to say this. I just fed my fish just then, 5 danios, 4 crisps, and since they hadnt eaten yesterday the went crazy over the food before it was able to sink to the shrimp. So i took half an algae crisp (the crisps are circular flakefood around one and a half millimeters in diameter (very small). I put this half algae crisp and layed it at the bottom of the tank near the glass under my java moss. The java moss was to thick for my fish to get under but not my shrimp. Immediatly i saw my shrimp go and eat this crisp. It was the coolest thing i saw. It mashed up the flake in small pieces and used to claws and picked it up. Then it put it in its mouth. You could see the stomach slowly fill up with pale yelloy stuff (the food). You could see it getting bigger and even rippling as the food is digested. I have never seen anything cooling in my life. sadly only one shrimp got to it and it fought off any shrimp that tried to go near its meal. so only one shrimp was fed today, hopefully my fish missed some of the food...

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
i'll try and make a video next time. Also yes 3 cories is pushing it with your tank, but 2 cories are no fun, they will not show you their normal behavior unless there are more than 2. I still say get three but you will have to do more water changes, like twice a week, 25% water changes, otherwise nitrates will raise too fast.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
yes, i think there might have been some things in your first setup, maybe some nitrates were added somehow, but its good how your nitrite and ammonia is staying low, my ones are peaking at the moment

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
hmm, if you have a planted aquarium it shouldnt be that bad since the plants eat nitrates. I still would suggest some java moss as a begginer or even the only plant in the aquarium.

Would you mind telling me what things you add to your water:
What dechlorinator
What food
If you are adding bacterial supplements (not needed but can be good)
What filter and model number are you using
What test kit are you using

Since we both are cycling right now and we both are begginers and we both have danios, i think we can relate easier

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
well dana got luck, i have a 2.0 nitrite level at the moment, then i did a water change, i havent checked on it since. My ammonia is at zero and my nitrates are at 5.0 Im well into my 4th week of having this tank. I used stress zyme when my ammonia was at 1.0. It went down to .25 the next day. But established filter/gravel is better than adding chemicals. Im just lucky im using danios, they are extremly hardy and just wipe off the ammonia poisoning right off their shoulders.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
hmm, every time you change water you must add a dechlorinator to the new water before you add it to your tank. So having some dechlorinator on hand is always good. I use prime and it works really well. You have had lots of people help you, all i had was a book when i started my aquarium, but at least none of my fish died

Good dechlorinator products:
Prime
Stress coat

Bad ones:
Top fin GRRR!!!

When your trying to get dechlorinators, make sure you chose one on how many gallons it treats, not how much liquid is in it. Also get one that comes with a stress coat to protect the fish.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
It means that your tank is cylcled pretty much, keep checking though because it could be lying. What test kit do you use?

I had a previous thread asking why my cycling is taking so long (and still is) and blue helped me out. So thats pretty much why we were wondering why your one took so fast. I guess i was unlucky

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
lucky.... But even though your tank is cycled you still need to slow stock.

We think your tank is cycled because there are no detectable ammonia or nitrite in your tank with some nitrate forming. This is what happens to all freshwater tanks after cycling. Check if your test kit is expired out of date etc. Its looking good so far.

I use the same test kit as you, but i got it for 19 dollars, it was on sale :p

About the dechlorinator, when you buy it, smell it, if it smells like rotton eggs its good. If it has a very small smell or a good fragrance, its bad.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
ok. This is very important so read carefully

As you obviously know the tanks "good" bacteria live on your gravel, ornaments etc it is not enough to sustain a proper amount to keep your tank without any ammonia. This is where the filter comes in. Bacteria will live in the filter media (filter media is what you use in your filter). It is important to have part of the filter never taken out and thrown away. This filter part is called the bio-medium. Good filters are ones that have 3 way filtration. Lets use a power filter as an example. The bottom part of the filter will be used for mechanical filtration (where debris is filtered out) the mechanical filter should be changed monthly. The middle part of the filter is a bag containing activated carbon. This is called the chemical filtration (the carbon asorbs impurities) you change the carbon monthly. The top part is the bio-medium It is where the bacteria should live, you should never change this.

Another good form is called a bio-wheel. This wheel sits at the end of the filter. It is never changed and it is a good house for bacteria.

There should be at least one part of the filter that doesnt need to be changed at all.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
you could insert a specially designed foam plate that you put in front of your filter pad. Just change the BIO fiber cartridge monthly but dont change the foam plate. This works if you have a low budget

41 - 60 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.