Tropical Fish Keeping banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
hmm, from what ive read about them i think cardinals are more fragile than neons, but double check because im not positive. Also they are slower swimmers than danios. Possibly the danios will leave them alone but then again they might nip their fins (i dunno why but danios love nipping). If you have substantial hiding spots im almost positive they will be fine though, just giving you a heads up.

Seeing that you cant really chose between neons and cardinals, why dont you just find the cheaper one and get that?

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
well since ntd wont really kill your danios (hopefully) i think it will be fine to have neons. If you have good water quality, healthy diet, loving care, i think your fish wont have NTD let alone any sickness.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
i dont know much about gouramis :D but they website i gave you has information on them. Of course you could still get the pink ballon kissing gourami as long as you know enough about them. I think they get around 6-8 inches so they might find your danios or tetras as yummy food.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
I was just feeding my danios (love food, one of mine shoved two flakes in his mouth and swam off with the other fish chasing him) when i rememerd that when you feed tetras make sure they are slow sinking food, not floating. If you are feeding flakes or crisps, dip them in the water and then feed incase of swim bladder problems

Are you interested in shrimp?

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
well a good shrimp to start off with are ghost/glass shrimp. There quite hardy, they eat some alage, and they help clean your gravel. They are also extremly cheap (i got mine for 30 cents each)

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Oh and once the ghost shrimp are older and you can see them clearly, if you look closely you can see them digesting food or you can see their organs.

They get a long fine with my danios, occaisonally my danios would nudge them curiously but the shrimp are very very fast.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
yes, java moss is very popular and is high in demand. They require very little maintanance. Since they are the only plant in your aquarium, you wont need a co2 unit. They also dont have roots so they dont need fertilizer or a specially made gravel. The only downside of this plant is that it grows quite fast and you might need to give some away every few months. And they can spred to your filter even clogging it. Just as long as you check the filter every month and clean it you wont have a problem of filter clogs

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
a good cory for a begginer is a sterbai (i think thats how you spell) cory. These things are almost as hardy as danios and they help clean your bottom of your tank. But as always, dont treat them as scavengers, make sure you feed them food designed for them

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
there are many different types of plecos, some are aggressive and will attack other fish, some are calm and sit quitely at your gravel bed. They vary in many sizes. If you want to get a pleco you will need a lot of research.

On the other hand a cory would be great, pretty much all cories are calm and leave other fish alone. There is not as much research needed for cories
This is what i recommend you as a begginer

Another very nice bottom dweller is... The loach. These are very calm fish like there close relative, the cory, but they do have some which get very big, like the clown loach. But if you look into loaches you might find one you like

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
hey blue, since your here, i need to ask you a question. I have 4 ghost shrimp and 5 zebra danios. When my tank is done cycling i would love to get some freshwater clams to eat my nitrates but im not sure if it would be good in my tank. The ph is 7.6-7.8, its a 20 gallon high tank with standard non planted aquarium gravel.

Also i have a think layer of white slime covering the surface area of my tank, the glass is covered with it and my ornamants are slimy. It is white but a think layer. It is hard to see unless you put a light up to it. Is this a type of algae or something?

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
You can fit many ghost shrimp in their, possibly about 8 as long as you slow stock. I have 4 in my 20 gallon tank atm and there fine. There very small, measuring up to about .75-1 inch length.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.