Tropical Fish Keeping banner
181 - 200 of 218 Posts

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
It means that your tank is cylcled pretty much, keep checking though because it could be lying. What test kit do you use?

I had a previous thread asking why my cycling is taking so long (and still is) and blue helped me out. So thats pretty much why we were wondering why your one took so fast. I guess i was unlucky

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
Well I'm keeping a tab on the testing. I'm using the Freshwater Master Test Kit by aquarium pharmaceuticals

A friend of a friend is really big on tropical fish and she said it's what she has always used, and has had no problems with. It was $30

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
DanaJ said:
Well I'm keeping a tab on the testing. I'm using the Freshwater Master Test Kit by aquarium pharmaceuticals

A friend of a friend is really big on tropical fish and she said it's what she has always used, and has had no problems with. It was $30
Hmmm...That proves your tank has indeed cycled. Try to monitor the water parameters again for one week and if you keep getting the same results of zero ammonia and nitrites with detectable level of nitrates, then it proves your tank has cycled. Time when cycling can vary but I've never seen a fast one like yours. Usually it takes 2 weeks or more.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
Wow, even I'm impressed. I was anticipating a much longer time!
I'm just confused I guess as to why it happened so fast. I had no bacteria to start with. Just filled the tank, and let it run, then eventually added danios. So far so good.

What was it about what I said that sold you on the conclusion that it infact had cycled? The test kit? The test readings the past week? Just curious.

I will continue to monitor the results:)

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
lucky.... But even though your tank is cycled you still need to slow stock.

We think your tank is cycled because there are no detectable ammonia or nitrite in your tank with some nitrate forming. This is what happens to all freshwater tanks after cycling. Check if your test kit is expired out of date etc. Its looking good so far.

I use the same test kit as you, but i got it for 19 dollars, it was on sale :p

About the dechlorinator, when you buy it, smell it, if it smells like rotton eggs its good. If it has a very small smell or a good fragrance, its bad.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
Okay, it's a BIO fiber cartridge that needs to be replaced every 2-4 weeks.

edited to add: Aqua tech power filter. the cartridge contains aqua tech pure activated carbon. it also says "Improved carbon. Works faster!"
double thick poly fiber pad, premium activated carbon, and patented ribbed backing.
Does that help at all??

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
ok. This is very important so read carefully

As you obviously know the tanks "good" bacteria live on your gravel, ornaments etc it is not enough to sustain a proper amount to keep your tank without any ammonia. This is where the filter comes in. Bacteria will live in the filter media (filter media is what you use in your filter). It is important to have part of the filter never taken out and thrown away. This filter part is called the bio-medium. Good filters are ones that have 3 way filtration. Lets use a power filter as an example. The bottom part of the filter will be used for mechanical filtration (where debris is filtered out) the mechanical filter should be changed monthly. The middle part of the filter is a bag containing activated carbon. This is called the chemical filtration (the carbon asorbs impurities) you change the carbon monthly. The top part is the bio-medium It is where the bacteria should live, you should never change this.

Another good form is called a bio-wheel. This wheel sits at the end of the filter. It is never changed and it is a good house for bacteria.

There should be at least one part of the filter that doesnt need to be changed at all.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
you could insert a specially designed foam plate that you put in front of your filter pad. Just change the BIO fiber cartridge monthly but dont change the foam plate. This works if you have a low budget

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
Okay, I just went down to look at my filter again. There is clearly an area that says "DO NOT DISPOSE" so I'm guessing that has to be what you are referring to.

181 - 200 of 218 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.