Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very new to the whole aquarium thing, but am fascinated by it. I've decided to try out this adventure with a new 29 gallon set up. The plan is to set it up today so it can run for a bit before adding any fish, giving me time to do more research and ideas on the what to add. I'm basing it on compatibility and stocking levels.
I've been doing a lot of research as far as starting up, and came across this forum. Seems like just what I need! I've learned so much so far, but I'm just beginning so I need all the help I can get.
I understand that you should let your tank run at least 48 hours before adding anything. I've heard varying time frames though. Some say upwards of a week. Which do you think is best and why? I don't want to rush things and cause problems, so I'm willing to hear suggestions and ideas!
I also heard you should start with a few hardy fish, then gradually work your way up as your tank stabilizes. What would be the best recommendations?
I am confused and need some straightening out! This probably sounds so dumb, but I need to clear up any confusion I have. What is the difference between cories, loaches, and plecos? Can they be put together? Should they be paired up in any way? Do they get along with most fish?

It's a 29 gallon freshwater. I don't really like goldfish, so I'm hoping for a more "exotic" tropical type theme. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks crazie eddie!
We got it set up today, and it looks pretty nice for now. The aquarium kit came with some dechlorination treatment for a 29 gallon, so we added that.

As far as plecos, cories, and loaches, I was confusing them with the term algea eaters. I was always fascinated with watching them(plecos?).

I figure I still have a decent amount of time to do more research on what fish and bottom feeders I'll want to add. The pet store near me will order anything I want, if they don't have it i the store, so I'll definately be doing my homework and go from there!

I'm attaching a pic of the tank right after it was set up.
This seems like a silly question, but no reason not to ask. Is the water high enough? How high should the water line be?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to raise the water line. Funny you mentioned the water noise, with it being at that level. I was starting to think this is going to drive me crazy. It sounds like the toilet is running! Even from upstairs.
Thanks for the links eddie. I'm not sure what the initial treatment was, as it was just one dose. I'll look into the Prime.
That's a really beautiful pleco! I can see why it is one of your favorites.
I'll check out the links and go from there.
I'm sure I'll have more questions and concerns as I continue to learn and explore this new area!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tophat665- thanks for that info! I had no idea there were bulldog and pitbull algae eaters. Pretty neat considering! I'll definately look into them and see what would work out best. I like the suggestion of 1 bristlenose or bulldog and 2 pit bull to keep the tank clean!
I don't think I'm too interested in the loaches, but information on them never hurts.
Thanks musho3210, I'll look into getting a spare filter.
I'm not sure about live plants right now. Probably not for awhile. I'm still pretty inundated with info on the actual fish, so I might spare the live plant education for later;)

My fiance's coworker(who has a 35 gallon tank, I think) mentioned an under gravel filter (?) Are they good generally or should they be used for specific tanks etc? Pros and Cons?

What does HOB stand for? :oops:
BTW, I did add water up to the suggested line. Nice and quiet now:)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm definately into bottom feeders like algae eaters(smaller kinds).
I'm still learning about different types of aquarium fish...so I don't know much about what I'm really into yet. I like more colorful fish though, as opposed to the metalic (but both would be nice). Never thought about snails. Shrimp seem interesting. Any special requirements or pairing with them? I'd like to know more about that.
I read up on the different stocking schemes, so I'd like to have a tank that balanced out like that.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow okay, that was really interesting about what you said in regards to the chinese algae eater! I had no idea at all! I'm glad you said something, I wouldn't have known. What else should I know about them, if anything?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can't get over the chinese algae eater thing! I'm so glad I found that out now. I wouldn't have wanted to make that mistake.
I like the idea of the siamese algae eaters. That size is about right I think for what I'd want. Do they do well with others kinds of algae eaters or do you think they're best with their own, and if so how many should I get?
I had no idea about the veggie thing! It is amusing in a way!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hatchets seem interesting! I haven't given too much thought as far as middle and surface dwellers. I guess maybe because I'm still discovering which fish fit into which categories .
The rasboras look nice.
I find when I go searching for the fish that are suggested or even mentioned, it comes up with a ton of different things, that don't really look anything alike, so it's slightly confusing!
The more in number, the less in species line was good. I'll keep that in mind!

Any suggestions on an easier way to research different types of fish easily? Like a chart with a photo description, and important info about each fish? Something all in one place?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Wow, nice links! When I have time tomorrow I'll go through them more carefully. Pretty exciting.
The diamond tetras are beautiful! Well most of the picture links are!
That planet catfish site is stunning! I'll have fun with that one too!
I can see why it's so hard to keep up with all the different types of fish and all that. Wow, overwhelming, but very interesting and fascinating!
Thanks again:)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I'm glad you mentioned hatchetfish and how they're so sensitive. Definately sounds like something I'm not ready for. It's okay though, I'm not sure they interest me as much as others, which is a good thing is this case.
I didn't know that about glowlight danios. They are neat looking, but again I had no idea about their background etc. I'll look into those danios you suggested.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I started to look more into types of fish that I'd think about getting. I like the cardinal tetras, along with the leopard and zebra danios. How many would be good to get? Would they get along if I got tetras and danios?
Are there any types of sharks that are low on the aggressive scale and would get along with others? I was just curious. I'd guess it wouldn't be a good idea to have them in tanks with most other fish, especially not long finned ones.
I need to find another chart that shows the types of fish, their aggressive levels, and all those other important things.
I feel like I can't get anywhere as far as figuring out exactly what fish to think about, and who gets along with what. It's very overwhelming.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
My tank has now been set up and running since Monday. I used a dose of the dechlorinator that came with the kit the day everything was set up. It was the proper amount for a 29 gallon. I have not put anything else in the water.
When is it okay to add a few fish?
What kind of testing kits should I purchase? How do I go about testing it, and does it need to be before I add anything (I assume so)?
Would it be wise to start with some sort of cat fish or bottom dweller? Other suggestions? I'm eager to add a couple of initial fish, but understand it's important to be patient and to do things properly.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I plan on going out tomorrow and looking at what a reputable place has. Should I start off with 1, 2, or how many danio for this initial process?
How long after should I add a bottom feeder to the mix?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I've been looking into types of fish all morning. Here is what I'm interested in.
It seems like corys can coexist with certain sharks?
I'd like to add a shark(smaller size) to the tank. It seems like adding one is advised? Is the red tail or rainbow more likely to get along with a variety of other fish?

Here are some ideas on fish I've looked up and taken a liking to:

black spotted cory
trilined cory
yellow laser cory
panda cory

leopard danio
zebra danio

cardinal tetra

checker barb
cherry barb

glass fish

clown loach
kuhlii loach

rainbow or redtail shark- whichever is the more peaceful.

Would the above listed fish get along together for the most part? Suggestions on what to add/remove?
I would also need help on deciding amounts on each, if possible.
I don't want to crowd my tank, and this isn't set in stone, just gives an idea of what interests me so far.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thanks Lauri. I'll either go out today before work or tomorrow to pick up a few danios to cycle my tank.
I'm pretty excited about starting to finally add fish!

How long do I need to have the tank cycle? When can I add in a few more?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Wow, thanks Lauri.
I just came home from the local pet store that has one of the best reputations for fish. I bought 2 zebra danios. They were 99cents each.
They're active and cute!
There were so many amazing fish there!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I must have taken the advice on getting a couple of danios too literally. I realized they needed a group, but I thought with cycling it could have been too many. :oops:
So I got the 2 zebra danios before heading to work. I saw the post before I left for work saying I should have at least 5, even for the cycling. On my way home I stopped by the pet store and picked up 4 more danios. So there are a total of 6 now. Very active, beautiful things!
My pet store will order anything I ask for. They get shipments in every tuesday also. Sundays they have 20% off all fish due to their upcoming new arrivals every tuesday. Their reputation for healthy good fish is out of this world. My friend/coworker used to work there so she knows who cleans it and takes care of everything in that dept. Talk about passionate and knowledgeable!
Thanks everyone for all the help so far. I know I'll be asking more questions and all in a matter of time!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Oh I know not to add any more until it's properly cycled and tested. I have a nice test kit, and I understand the importance of ensuring everything is okay:)

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.