Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Nice tank, what filter is it, some filter companies are known to be really bad in housing bacteria that will help your cycling. If you have money to spare it is also good to have 2 filters so one can be a back up. Since HOB's are good for begginers, i would suggest you getting one with a bio-wheel or separate filtration containers, one which you never need to throw away or clean since that is where your bacteria will live. Are you going to have a tank with live plants? If you are make sure your lighting is adequate.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
HOB stands for Hang On Back filters. Also undergravel filters are only put before everything else. Since you already set up the tank i wouldnt recomend an undergravel filter. Plants are great filters too. They eat up small amounts of ammonia and nitrite. They also eat up a lot of nitrates. But they are hard to maintain and the exspensive lighting system makes up for the exspensive filter

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Now that you know most filters, you need to go on to choosing fish. What kind of fish do you like. Small ones that school with each other, or just 1 really big one. Do you like a colorful or metalic look. How about bottom dwellers? What about shrimp or snails. I know good comunity tank stocking schemes and i can help you out (well actually its not my knowledge, its a books knowledge)

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Cories are good for your tank. They come in many different colors so you can pick the best one for you. I like the fact that they are bottom dwellers and they will love to play around with your gravel.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Do not get hatchet fish as a begginer. They great fish, nice personalities, friendly to other species in the tank, but they are very sensitive to water conditions, I mean VERY sensitive. I wouldnt suggest you getting it.
Glowlight danios are genetically modified so there half danio, half jellyfish. It is just like dyeing the fish so do not get glowlight danios. I would suggest leopard or zebra danios, whichever one you like more.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
I made a mistake, glo-fish danios are genetically modified, glowlight danios are not, sorry about this (its confusing)

To answer your questions

Starting off with a bottom dweller is alright as long as you research, Cories are hardy, but i will stick with starting off with a danio because those are really hardy and strong and almost immpossible to accidently kill

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
I would suggest you getting a normal danio, do not get the long-fined ones because they might get nipped a lot. Get at least 5 danios, 6 would be much better. You should go back to the fish store and buy 3 more, i started cycling my tank with 5 zebra danios and so far no casualties. When danios are kept in pairs one of them will be more domanent and will attack the smaller fish. WHen theres 5+ the bully can switch fish every once and a while .

Do you know how to introduce your fish. Your lfs will tell you to dip your bag in the water for 20 minutes before you let the fish it, they are wrong.

The best way to do it is to get a .5-1 gallon container, my .5 gallon empty fish bowl works fine. Put as much water as the danios need, just as long as they are fully submerged its fin. Now every few minutes take half a cup full of aquarium water and put it in the bowl. Repeat this process until youve added around 2/5 of a gallon. Now net the fish out and put them in your tank. This way the fish will not only get used to the temperature, but they will get used to the chemistry.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
DO NOT GET A RED TAIL SHARK, THEY NEED LIKE 1000 GALLON TANKS!!!

Red tail sharks arent peacefull and they grow very very very big. Do not get these for a 29 gallon tank. I dont think a 29 gallon can fit any sharks....

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
The good thing about danios are that they will eat almost anything you feed them. I feed my danios Tetramin Tropical Crisps and Frozen food. Make sure you feed your fish a variety so they wont get bored of one type and will get all the neutrients they need. Feed only once a day while cycling. If all readings are low during cycling, you could try feeding twice.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Oh, i read this book and it tells you good things to keep in an average comunity tank for a 29 gallon, here it is

Here they are (here is the layout, 3-5= 3=easier magangment, 5=do more water changes)

2-3 Platies to cycle. Since its only 3 you should get 3 males and no females
7-8 danios added next or can be used to cycle
5-6 lemon tetras added after cycling
3-4 cory cats last fish to add

We can have a big long talk about what fish you want to keep in the chat room

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
hmm, how long have you had the tank, im not used to seeing nitrate levels that high that early. You should test your normal tap water without dechlorinating it to see if there are any nitrates or nitrites or ammonia being added to your tap water. If there is a high amount, forget the fish, immediatly contact your water company and warn them, ammonia is toxic to humans too!! If your tap water contains chloramines you will see some ammonia but if you use a good water conditioner it wont matter.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Well platies are very hardy and colorful, plus they dont need to be in schools. It matters what tetra you want, some tetras need to be in schools of at least 8 while others only need to school in groups of 4. What tetra are you interested in

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Neons are nice but they arent so hardy. They are very sensitive to water conditions so make sure you check their water occaisonally. They are also prone to neon tetra disease which is incurable.

Try using the chat room again.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Kissing guarmies grow quite big, also there kissing isnt sexual, its agressive. If you see them kissing, it means there fighting and you must separate them. I would rather you go with a dwarf guarmie (i have no idea how to spell guarmie)

1 - 20 of 66 Posts