Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

I am a little new to this hobby and want to make sure I am doing this right. I heard Penguin Tetras were supposed to be peaceful and easy to manage, but they have been anything but.

After having my tank set up for 3 weeks, we got 3 penguin tetras (advice from store to start small and add later). One was a bully and continuously chased around the other two all day. Realizing it was stupid to get only 3, I purchased 6 more to make the school 9.

The school started out ok, and then the chaos started. They began chasing eachother until now there are 7 who are forced into a corner by 2 who stay on separate sides of the tank (photo attached). If they try to leave the corner, the bullies force them back in. The good thing, however, is that they never bother the other species in the tank.

This is super stressful as I can't imagine fish wanting to live this way for very long, being forced into a corner all day.

Here is my set-up and levels:

-40 G tank (I believe)
-variety of live water plants
-5 Cory Cats
-3 Platys
-9 Penguin Tetras

-NO3 = 0
-NO2 = 0
-GH = 75
-Chlorine = 0
-KH = 80
-PH 7.0

It may be hard to see in the photo, but the 7 bullied are in the top left, 1 bully on the right of the guppy grass and 1 on the left. They stay like that most of the day now.

Thank you very much for your help.

Jd

1 - 1 of 1 Posts