Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you in advance to anyone who helps me. I have two fish tanks (I will list them and their inhabitants below) that I need help with. I am trying to keep them as natural tanks and want to add plants and have tried to add plants but most of them turned to little shreds.

5 Gallon Aqueon Guppy Tank
Aqueon 50/50 Daylight/Bluelight Bulb (on 5am-10am; 5pm-10pm Mon-Fri, 7am-10pm Sat-SunAqueon Quiet Flow 10
CaribSea Flora Max Planted Aquarium Substrate
8 Female Guppies
5 Male Guppies
4 Nerite Snails

20 Gallon
Zoo Med TropicSun 5500k Daylight Bulb (on 5am-10am; 5pm-10pm Mon-Fri, 7am-10pm Sat-Sun
Aquon Quiet Flow 30
CaribSea Flora Max Planted Aquarium Substrate
Albino Cory Catfish
Black Molly (1 mommy and 1 baby (a frog ate the second today when I was transferring them))
Dalmatian Molly
Emerald Green Cory Catfish
Gold Panda Lyre Tail Molly
Juill Cory Catfish (2x)
Panda Platy
Silver Molly
Salt and Pepper Cory Catfish (2x)
African Dwarf Frog (3x)
Trapdoor Snails (picture below)? (2x)
Black Snails (2x)
Blue Snails (2x)
Yellow Snails (3x) - Apple Snails?
Spiral Snails (picture below) (2x)
Unknown Molly/Platy (7x)

I have plants only in the large tank but would like plants in the small tank also. I have some Java Ferns that seem to be doing well, some Marimo Balls (4x) and some unknown plant found at Wal-Mart (pictured). I have tried Anacharis, Fixtail, Red Nessea, Ludwigia Perveuiss but they ended up in shreds.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Okay, 2 start the light on the aqueon tank is more 4 corals. Plants dont really use the blue spectrum that much. U should go 2 walmart and they have aquarium compact flouresents for like $5. Im using them in 1 of my diy lights and it works great. U want the spectrum 2 be 6,500k. It will say the spectrum on the back of the box, usually. That spectrum is the best 4 plants. Same with the 20g. Just get a 6,500k bulb and u will notice a difference. Also i have noticed the biggest growth in plants when u have a mix of sand and gravel. So i would recommend u get some black sand and but it on top of the flouramax. The cories should like that a lot better also.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know the 5 gallon is overstocked but I sadly cannot afford another tank either in money or space (I live with my mother so I am limited to space). I want to do a 60 gallon and put everyone in one large tank (minus the babies).

I have a different bulb for the 5 gallon but thought the one I purchased was better for live plants. I will look up the two lights I have that I replaced with what I thought was better.

Is sand hard to clean? I fully admit I have an issue with over feeding. I am trying to get better but I have lots of gunk in the gravel to clean out when I clean the tank.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will have to get that on Friday. How deep of a layer do I have. I already have 3" of the gravel.

With my overstocked 5 gallon could I move some of the guppies into the 20 gallon to reduce the number of fish in the 5 gallon? I'd rather not give some of my guppies away for free but I might post some on Craigslist because its better than them dying. I read somewhere that I need 3 females for every male but would 2 females for every male work or is the 3 to 1 ratio pretty set in stone?

Also, does anyone know where I can go to help identify plants? I found a great deal on plants from Wal-Mart (3.94 each potted plant) and wanted to know what I purchased so I can keep track what does well.

Also I need help identifying 3 mollys/platys. I got almost everyone else identified but I am unable to figure out what these 3 are. I also have 1 snail that I am unable to identifying.

I am sad becuase I had found the one baby molly that escaped into the big tank and put him back with his brother/sister. Yesterday he was acting weird so I put him in a smaller container so he wouldnt have as many issues swimming. He was swimming striaght up and down and having issues getting to the surface for food. He didnt survive the night so I am down to 1 baby Molly and 1 baby guppy (I think). They are seperated for now beuase the guppy was just born/found last week and the molly is about a month older.

Again thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
In my tank i have the substrate 4-5in. The plants love it. I think they like being able 2 sink there roots in2 it. The only problem with doin it this way is some of the flouramax will pop up. Put the catfish will mix it around. It gives the tank a cooler look then just plain gavel or sand.i would say get rid of the guppies, cuz the 20g is overstocked as it is. But if u have 2 have them than u could move them over. Name for plants use= http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/all.php
For the fish and snails just type in "types of ______"
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are a few guppies that I like (maybe 7) that are very pretty. I could give away some of the other ones and keep them in the 5 gallon. I know 7 in a 5 gallon is better than the lots I have. I would probably keep the ones listed below. My plan is to upgrade my tank around September and I would hate to get rid of the rarer ones to then try to find them in a few months. Would the ratio of males/female be safe for everyone? I would have 3 males and 4 females.

Tequila Sunrise Guppy (Male)
Tequila Sunrise Guppy (Female)
Red/Gold Tuxedo Guppy (Male)
Cobra – Yellow/Black (Female)
Cobra – Red/Yellow/Black (Female)
Cobra – Red/Yellow/Black (Male)
Cobra – Blue/Black (Female)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll have to get some plants for that tank to have hiding spots. In the meantime I will segregate the males to another tank so that my females are safe. Could I temporarily keep the 3 males that I want to keep in the big tank until I can afford more plants? it might be for a month.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I put the sand in and my filter keeps stalling. I am hopign that it lasts the 9 hours I am at work. I unplug it and clean it but I didnt want to leave the tank without a filter for however long it worked.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Yes that happens 2 me 2. Just make sure u clean the motor and make sure there is no sand floating on the top. Did u shut the filter off when u put the sand in? Also put an arirstone in just in case the filter stops.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.