Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I purchased these two cichlids to add to my tropical community a while back, but I had no idea that they would SPAWN! :shock: they have roughly 20-25 fry. They are very aggressive about protecting their fry.

- What should I do with them? Leave them in? I am afraid the HOB filter will suck up the fry. Also, they have done some damage to my dwarf gourami's fins when he tried to investigate.

- I turned off the HOB so they can't get sucked up.

-The female appears to be eating some of the fry. Are these kind of cichlids mouthbrooders? Is she culling? Or is she just crazy??

- What kind of cichlids are they? I cannot remember. :/

Organism Insect Newt

Organism Fish Flatworm

Please help!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Those are Kribensis, they are pretty decent parents. If it were me I would just leave them and let the parents raise to ones they can. If you really want to raise them all to adults you will need to move them to another tank. THe behavior you see where the mother looks like she is eating them, is most likely her keeping them near by. Lots of cichlids suck their offspring into their mouths when they start to wander too far, then spit them back out where they want the fry to be.

If you are worried about fry getting sucked up you can put a prefilter sponge over the intake. I wouldnt worry about it, unless the parents are hanging around the intake.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Those are Kribensis, they are pretty decent parents. If it were me I would just leave them and let the parents raise to ones they can. If you really want to raise them all to adults you will need to move them to another tank. THe behavior you see where the mother looks like she is eating them, is most likely her keeping them near by. Lots of cichlids suck their offspring into their mouths when they start to wander too far, then spit them back out where they want the fry to be.

If you are worried about fry getting sucked up you can put a prefilter sponge over the intake. I wouldnt worry about it, unless the parents are hanging around the intake.
+1

ive had johannis spawn before along with labs, so cool to watch them with fry being mouthbrooders and all. 25, your lucky to have that many freeswimming. everytime my africans have spawned the female doesnt hold the eggs well during the fermentation process lol. keep plenty of hiding spaces, liek tons of them and just feed as normal with sinking pellets the fry will munch on it. raised 4 johnanis from fry to adult size this way.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Thank you! Could I move them all to a 10 gallon?
If you have a cycled ten gallon you can move them. I would throw some of that java moss in the tank for fry food. then you will need to get something for them to eat like BBS or decapsulated brine, or they will probably starve n a few days.

·
Registered
547 Posts
The best fry food for fry that small are baby brine shrimp or bbs. They are bought as eggs (cysts technically) and hatched, then given to fry before they grow into adults. The alternative is decaplulated brine shrimp, which are just the cysts with the shell removed. These do not hatch and are just fed as is. Most of the stuff you can get frozen is too large for fry that size to eat. Once they start to take on the shape of the adults you can start feeding whatever the parents eat.

edit: If you dont have a cycled tank I would not move them. Fry cant tolerate any ammonia, nitrite or nitrate.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I always strip my fry in to a 10 Gallon holding tank after they are able to free swim instead of letting them release in the main aquarium, but, they have very little success rate in my cichlid aquarium so I do this for the good of the fry and for the fact that I also sell them and want a high success rate.

In regards to food, I have had marvelous success rate with crushing numerous types of food such as crushed shrimp pellets, crushed fish flakes, and shredded blood worms. Peacock fry do come out abnormally large compared to other fry so it's a bit easier to raise them though.

Good luck with the fry~

·
Registered
547 Posts
ive had johannis spawn before along with labs, so cool to watch them with fry being mouthbrooders and all. 25, your lucky to have that many freeswimming. everytime my africans have spawned the female doesnt hold the eggs well during the fermentation process lol. keep plenty of hiding spaces, liek tons of them and just feed as normal with sinking pellets the fry will munch on it. raised 4 johnanis from fry to adult size this way.
I always strip my fry in to a 10 Gallon holding tank after they are able to free swim instead of letting them release in the main aquarium, but, they have very little success rate in my cichlid aquarium so I do this for the good of the fry and for the fact that I also sell them and want a high success rate.
Just to be clear, kribensis are egg layers not mouth brooders. Their fry care is similar to that of rams and apistos. They are good parents (unlike mbuna) and will take care of and defend their fry. The type of aquarium that kribs enjoy (lots of plants, community fish) are perfect for fry to live in. There is really no reason to pull the fry from the tank.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have decided that I will run to the pet store tomorrow and get a pre-filter sponge and more hides. I've also decided to put more plants in the tank. I am quite confused as what to feed them -- everyone seems to have a different opinion. I think I will give it a try with the BBS and see how it goes. I really have no idea as to what I should do with the fry once they get bigger though! I suppose I could always pick my favorites once they grow up a bit and give the rest to the owner of the shop that I bought them from -- he is a breeder and really knowledgeable. Or I could get a 55 gallon and turn it into their tank... I could also sell them -- but I don't really feel comfortable with that. :/

I'm lost!

·
Registered
547 Posts
In their parents tank you dont really need to feed them anything special. A tank that has been up for a while and has plants in it, also has micro algae and a number of tiny life forms clinging to plants and floating around. if you want a special food go with bbs. You may even want to ask your LFS store owner if he is knowledgeable about breeding.

As far as what to do with them, I wouldn't fret. They will be small enough to stay in the parents tank for months. once they start getting big enough that you have to make a decision you will have had plenty of time to decide to keep them or not.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In their parents tank you dont really need to feed them anything special. A tank that has been up for a while and has plants in it, also has micro algae and a number of tiny life forms clinging to plants and floating around. if you want a special food go with bbs. You may even want to ask your LFS store owner if he is knowledgeable about breeding.

As far as what to do with them, I wouldn't fret. They will be small enough to stay in the parents tank for months. once they start getting big enough that you have to make a decision you will have had plenty of time to decide to keep them or not.
Thank you for your advice! I think I will wait on the BBS until I can talk to my LFS owner. For now I'll just crush up the pellets really tiny and feed them those.

Again, thank you! ~Saphira

1 - 14 of 14 Posts