Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum, very nice to meet you all.
I am have a 10 gal tank, I have 3 mollys and one beta, my bottom eater just died last night.
I've had my tank for about 11 months now and all of the sudden everything is going wrong very fast.
this are my problems.
1. I cant get the alge under control, its green sticky and mostly on decorations and wall of the tanks
2. my stats are out of control and getting worse, i have follow all the instructions on the bottle to make it good but its not working..
nitrate: 160
nitrite: 10.0
hardness: 300
alkanity: 300
ph: 8.4

My fish have become lifeless, sad and are all in the bottom, they look so sad my poor beta dosent even want eat anymore.. I don't know what do I don't want them to die like oddo(my bottom eater did)

Please can someone please help me.

Thank you very much and have a great day
monkey

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Welcome.:wave:

Your nitrites and nitrates are very high. What is your ammonia? You'll need to do a lot of water changes to dilute the nitrates and nitrites. Test your tap water for nitrates.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ty

how much water should i change 25 or more and how often do i do the water change . Also is there anything i should add to the water?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Just to clarify...I'd start with at least a 25% water change right away and then do 10-15% EACH day until your parameters are back in control.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all very much, I will try that and let you know how it goes..
now my next problem is the alge what sould i do with that?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My sunshine died(baby molly) she just went to the bottom with the others and i came to check on them, take an other water test and she was dead.. i did the 25 water change but all the stats are still of the top..
im sad, are my fishys in too much danger??

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about your molly. What's your ammonia level? Could you be overfeeding? Do another water change.

Is your tank in direct sunlight or do you leave the light on longer than 12 hours? Those can lead to more algae. Don't get any shrimp until your tank is stable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I havent tested the amonia lvl i dont have any stips of it.. :oops:
I will go get some today.
The alge problem is insane.:(
I have the fishtank in my dinining room so it gets maybe 3 or 4 hours of sun and the light are always on.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm sure someone else will chime in because I'm not an expert but I suggest leaving the aquarium lights off for a few days. And try to block the sunlight if you can. Keep up on those water changes!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello everyone
I just ran a test on the water my stats are
nitrate: 80
nitrite: 1.0
hardness: 300
alkalinity: 120
ph: 7.2
ammnia: 9.5?? I dont think the test I bought are relly good, but the only pet store in this area is 35 mim away and the next one its 3 hours out. but i think im going to make the trip..
I have been doing all the water changes like clock work:) 10% evrytime, my fish now like me in there they dont even move out of the way.
They look a little better but still lifeless and unhappy, my kids keep asking me why the fihishy keep sleeping all day.
thank you all so much for care.
i dont know what else to do

·
Registered
288 Posts
You made some great progress with the nitrites, though 1 is still stressful. I can't believe your ammonia is truly that high and you still have fish. As recommended on these boards, try and get the API master test kit. You can buy them online or even on eBay. I'm curious as to why your nitrates are going up. You could try a nitrate test on your tap water and see what it runs. Make sure you use a water conditioner and let it sit a few minutes before you add new water to the tank. BTW, it's also ok if you don't feed your fish for a day. Until your ammonia comes way down I'd skip a day and then only feed a very small amount once a day. I'm rootin' for ya! :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Try to get your aquarium out of any and all direct sunlight - that will help in the future with your algal blooms. Good luck with everything!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello guys
Thank you all for responding.
I ran the test today with the new API test today and even thougt it was messy I think the results are great.
nitrate: 20
nitrite: .5
hardness: 75
alkanity: 300
ph: 7.8
ammonia: 40

thinks are looking alot better since I have been doing the water changes but I still feel that my ammonia and the nitrite are a bit off being that my betta is not looking well... he is not being him self he is laying at the bottom sad and has stoped eating I don't know what to do..
the alge problem is getting better however my water turned green??? I don't know how this happen???

thank you all again

1 - 16 of 16 Posts