Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I’m going to make this short because I am hoping for a reply very soon. I was wondering if it is possible to keep Cory Cats with sand. I’m not really happy with rocks that I have and I already have 4 Cory Cats so please. If you have an answer please reply soon.

·
Registered
765 Posts
your in luck there.

corys absolutely love the sand! so they should have fun playing around in there.
Just be careful, some sands can raise the ph :shock2:

by the way, what corys are you planning to get?

hope this helps! :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey again,

Sorry if I seemed like I was in a rush to get it done, but I was at the time. I am going to be moving my tank into a different room so I had to hurry but I’m going to wait until Friday to do it. That you very much for the help it was very helpful indeed.

I already have four corys but I am sure that they were IDed wrong by the pet store. I’m confident that they said they were peppered but they aren’t like any peppered I have seen online. They are pretty dark and have lots of black spots, they have (three of them anyway) pretty big spinal fins and tails that are completely black. I will try to get a picture up so maybe one of you can help me?

Also, what sand would raise the PH…or better yet, what is a recommended sand that won’t?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Inert sand like play sand will do. As for identifying cories, why not post pics here?:) The other members may be able to help you.:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey

Wow, I have no idea why I said they had all black fins because they don't...I feel kinda stupid. I will post some pictures tonight or possibly tomorow (more likely) because I have to get good ones and they are tricky buggers.

About the sand, would play sand from a hardware store do, or do they sell it at most petstores?

EDIT:

Here is a picture:
http://www.fishforum.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=241

I was also wondering if that white line along into side is normal? All of my fish have it in the same spot and the least one that has it is the smallest one? They kinda remind me of streatch marks or something. I know I had a sharp object (to them) in the tank before but they had it before that. One of their faces go scratched from the object so I removed it.

·
Registered
765 Posts
it looks like a doradid....:D not a cory :D

·
Banned
786 Posts
Two Items:

As indicated in previous posts the image is very, very fuzzy but that is not a corie.
Does it look anything like:
http://www.jjphoto.dk/fish_archive/aquarium/batasio_affinis.htm
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=1413
If so then
http://fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=59908
will provide additional but limited information.
This is the closest that I can come to ID'ing this fish.

With respect to the question in your second post:
A calcareous sand (for example crushed limestone as set forth in a previous post) will raise the Ph.
A siliceous sand (for example playground sand as forth in a previous post) will not.

An additional item:
If possible IMHO I would purchase the sand from an LFS as it is more likely to be uniformly graded (most if not all the grains will be approximately the same size).
A well graded sand (for example most sands used in the manufacture of concrete) will contain grains of varying sizes and will therefore readily compact when saturated.

TR

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I really don't know what to think of all this with what I thought were my cory cats...they don't look anything like the pictures Jones. I will try and get a better picture tonight (when my girlfriend comes back home with the camera). If I have to I'll get one in a net and put it in a cup for a second to take a picture of it. That shouldn't be back for it should it?

As for the sand, I'll hop down to the petstore tonight and see what they have. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Play sand is pretty darn cheap at Home Despot or the local equivalent ($3 for 50 lbs last I checked). If you have a pool supply store nearby, though, get pool filter sand. Larger, more uniform grain size = less compaction = less chance of anaerobic pockets kicking swamp gas into your tank and making your fish swim upside down.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright thanks a lot for the help. Also I think I found what type of catfish my fish is.

I'm not sure if you would agree from the picture but it is a very close fit I'm confident that this is what it is. Synodontis Eupterus.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Hope you got a big honkin' tank. Featherfins get 7" long. :doh!:

Maybe you have Scleromystax cories? Check Cories-r-us. That gallery just has pix of the ones they had on sale most recently, but there are darker ones with roughly that body style, and with a light stripe like I thought I could make out in your picture from earlier.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I didn't see any pictures of the darker ones, perhaps I'm just not looking in the right place as I am pretty tired. I will trek threw the rest of the site tomorrow to see. I really hope they don't get that big...I love my fish and would hate to have to give them up...although it does give me a reason to get a bigger fish tank..hmmm...anyway, if you could either link me directly to what you are seeing or I could wait until tomorrow to look around. Thanks a lot, this site is very helpful as all all you members.

·
Registered
765 Posts
basicloser said:
Alright thanks a lot for the help. Also I think I found what type of catfish my fish is.

I'm not sure if you would agree from the picture but it is a very close fit I'm confident that this is what it is. Synodontis Eupterus.
DOH!!! :doh!: :D

i was gonna say it looked like a syno but it also looked like a doradid. :lol:

my bad... :roll:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts