Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I'm new into the hobby and I've started with a 29 gallon tank. I hate myself for this, but I guess I didn't do as much research as I needed so I need your help. I started my tank 3 weeks ago with Stability by Seachem for a week to start with the bacteria build up. The parameters after a week was Temp - 76F (no heater), pH - 8.2, ammonia - 0ppm, nitrite - 0 ppm, nitrate - 0ppm, GH - 6, KH - 5. Me and my lack of knowledge thought this was good enough and went to a LFS and told the employees about starting my tank and they said that the pH was fine and recommended some hardy fish to start my cycle (guess stability wasn't enough to do that) and I ended up with 3 Colombian tetras. I acclimated them as indicated and 2 days later my first tetra died (RIP Fred) apparently because of cloud eye. My parameters continue to be the same. Got 3 extra tetras (because they didn't tell me that they needed to be in a school of 5 or more) for a total of 5 fish. Not 4 hours later, one of the new tetras (the smallest one) has died as well. Tested my parameters yet again and everything is still the same except pH is now 8.0. I haven't done a water change since I set up the tank thinking this would start my nitrogen cycle going and now it's starting to look a little cloudy (it has only had fish for 4 days).

Any thoughts on how I can help kick start my cycle and help save the rest of my babies? I should've done a fish-less cycle, but I thought that introducing that bacteria would get it going (I know, I know) and now I'm stuck :( Please help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
You order online something you put into the water, I can’t remember the name off the top of my head. It’s essentially puts the healthy, good bacteria into the water :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone!

I'm new into the hobby and I've started with a 29 gallon tank. I hate myself for this, but I guess I didn't do as much research as I needed so I need your help. I started my tank 3 weeks ago with Stability by Seachem for a week to start with the bacteria build up. The parameters after a week was Temp - 76F (no heater), pH - 8.2, ammonia - 0ppm, nitrite - 0 ppm, nitrate - 0ppm, GH - 6, KH - 5. Me and my lack of knowledge thought this was good enough and went to a LFS and told the employees about starting my tank and they said that the pH was fine and recommended some hardy fish to start my cycle (guess stability wasn't enough to do that) and I ended up with 3 Colombian tetras. I acclimated them as indicated and 2 days later my first tetra died (RIP Fred) apparently because of cloud eye. My parameters continue to be the same. Got 3 extra tetras (because they didn't tell me that they needed to be in a school of 5 or more) for a total of 5 fish. Not 4 hours later, one of the new tetras (the smallest one) has died as well. Tested my parameters yet again and everything is still the same except pH is now 8.0. I haven't done a water change since I set up the tank thinking this would start my nitrogen cycle going and now it's starting to look a little cloudy (it has only had fish for 4 days).

Any thoughts on how I can help kick start my cycle and help save the rest of my babies? I should've done a fish-less cycle, but I thought that introducing that bacteria would get it going (I know, I know) and now I'm stuck :( Please help!
I have had really good luck with the Seachem products so I wouldn't give up on that yet. Just know that cycling a tank can take 4-6 weeks in some cases. All you can do at this point is monitor the water chemistry and do what you can with water changes and bio-filtration to move the nitrogen cycle along.

As for your pH, I believe it is too high, especially for the tetra's. Tetra's usually prefer below 7.5 pH. pH is a very important component to fish health. Since you are using Seachem products your can try and use Neutral Regulator by Seachem to bring down your pH. What is the pH of your tap water (I am assuming you are using tap water). Also, you are treating the water you put in the tank with a declorinator like with Seachem Prime right? Prime can also be used for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite spikes while you are moving through the cycling on your tank.

Good Luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts