Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I added a new male swordtail into my 10 gallon tank, only previously habited by my male platy and Oto. The days after I added him, both my platy and the swordtail kept having horrible fights, I can't exactly separate them so I just hoped for the fights to stop. It has calmed down relatively now but my poor platy is slow, lethargic, and hiding in the corners of the tank. I even think he has lost some coloration. I don't see them fight anymore but now the swordtail has taken possession of the entire tank and my platy is now so stressed he doesn't even get his food as quickly as he used to. He's my longest lived fish in this tank (over a year old) and I don't want to lose him, it's been a week already, what do I do???

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Please help me his stomach now looks sunken in I really don't know what to do!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had been keeping many Redwag Platies for a long time.
I find Platies are not as hardy as commonly thought. As I feed them exclusively with pellet food, I found that they prefer soft food. They will spit out hard pellets.

I also found that Bettas and Guoramis can easily tackle big and rock hard pellet food with no problem, even one after another. I like this behaviour as I like my fish to be well-nourished with the best pellets I can find.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Swordtails are evil, I had one that killed everything in the tank, including a platy. They are not good with other fish. I wish that this was reflected in their descriptions more, everything SAYS they are good in mixed tanks, but I've found them to not be at all. Maybe your fish store will let you trade him in for another platy? I'd just snuff him. I wish I'd flushed mine sooner, he killed several innocent fish.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I too can't stand fish that bully other fish. I once had a mixture of
Serpae tetras. They ended up tearing each others' fins.

Though my present group of Dwarf Guoramis are always quarrelsome towards each other, they are never serious about fighting. They only have frequent minor skirmishes and that's it. They live and let live and do not insist on tearing others' fins, especially when keep in a group.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well, along with everything everyone else said, a 10 gallon is too small for a swordtail, they should have a 20 gallon minimum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts