Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

So I'm going to preface this... I'm a total newbie. Well maybe not a total newbie, but my previous experience was with a betta who was not fussy.

I have a fluval chi and I'm doing quite a few plants and have a small school of rasboras plus a few notable cleaners (fancy pregnant shrimp, horned nerite snail, zebra Cory cat). Yes I'm aware the tank is quite full. If I have to reduce the fish I will, but for now this is what I'm working with.

I was given the tank by my good friend, set it up with the Eco complete (which I was told would enable me to skip the cycle process) and I had some plants I moved from an established tank and a cool piece of drift wood too. So I figured I was in pretty good shape for bacteria development. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Anyway I didn't know about "acclimation" until I did a whole bunch of research about rasboras and how fussy they are while being acclimated...after 3 died :( sad, right? I got replacements and they were acclimated and are doing great.

So basically, I'm looking for better lighting and filtration. My heater is holding the water at a steady 78°.

The Chi is super cute and so charming with its little fountain, but I have a pregnant shrimp and if the fry actually survive the fish, it would be good if they didn't get sucked up the filter too. Not to mention I have my doubts about the filter to begin with.

Also, as everyone knows, the lighting on the Chi is not adequate for anything beyond Java fern. I have baby tears for the fry, Staurogynes repens, Java fern, and Anubius nana. I guess the anubius is growing somewhat, but it has slowed down compared to its growth in the previous tank. I should add that I'm using the seachem flourish excel, their micro mix fert, and prime.

PH kh gh nitrate and nitrite levels are all OK, but my tester from today showed a little tiny hint of ammonia. So: filtration.

Looking for tiny, but bright over head lights, and a small, but effective filter safe for fry and tropical fish. Oh I'm also on a budget.

Suggest away!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Don't know what to tell you about lighting, but I have some advice on fish. First, the cory needs tank mates and the tank is too small for that. The cory needs to be re-homed. Don't know what type of rasboras you have, a name would help. If they are a dwarf variety you're likely OK. How many do you catually have? The shrimp, let her do her thing. A heard of shrimp is great in a tank that size and they should thrive. If per chance it is a Ghost shrimp the babies will not live in freshwater.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't know what to tell you about lighting, but I have some advice on fish. First, the cory needs tank mates and the tank is too small for that. The cory needs to be re-homed. Don't know what type of rasboras you have, a name would help. If they are a dwarf variety you're likely OK. How many do you catually have? The shrimp, let her do her thing. A heard of shrimp is great in a tank that size and they should thrive. If per chance it is a Ghost shrimp the babies will not live in freshwater.
well... first of all thanks for your reply! As for the rasboras, there are quite a few... I think maybe too many. :( i have 5 harlequin rasboras and 3 dwarf clown rasboras. I think with my new tank i just got really excited about having all this new life to watch! the only redeeming thing is that its a planted tank and they have many places to hide and the plants do provide some additional control of water conditions. right???? Hopefully everything will be ok because im not sure what i would be able to do with the fish if i couldnt keep them.

regarding the cory, i was told that it would be fine on it own. misinformation? ill start learning more about them.

The shrimp appears to have dropped her eggs. I haven't noticed any fry. Do you know why she would have dropped them?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts