Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there any kind of plant that can survive of a desk ;amp and a 40 watt light bulb? until i get some money thats all i got. all my lights are on other tanks.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are u sure? I tryed fern but it was from walmart
(i needed shelter for some babie zebra danios)
could that be y it died?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the tank u said was overcrowded(10 gallon)but that was when i first bought it last year.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
well 40 watt for a 10 gallon is fine. The plants probably died due to lack of carbon dioxide and/or lack of oxygen. If you want it medium to heavy planted, you should use a diy carbon dioxide system

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
a normal 60 watt light bulb from home depot ment for lamps(which is what i got on the tank)

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also were can i get sum of the plants aquaticmoon has. i want sum kinda grass type thing and a few bushy things.

·
Registered
491 Posts
All depends on what the light was. Was it florescent or incandescent? If incandescent, then the light is almost useless. You need a screwin CF bulb, with a 6500k rating. On a 10G, I have one that has 2 20W bulbs, and another that has 2 25W bulbs, and the one with the 25W bulbs need CO2. The tank with just the 20W bulbs is algae free, and no CO2. So if you have a lamp over the tank with a single bulb, I would recommend getting at least a 25W bulb, as it's the only bulb over the tank. You won't need CO2.

Now if you are wanting a grassy type of plant, you will need higher light than that, as well as adding CO2. Most ground covers require higher lighting.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i can raise the lamp higher(it bends).right now i have it lower.
and right now i have a 60 watt fan light.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts