Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a plant dip to use to get rid of algae? i have cyanobacteria in my 5 gal. tank.:evil: i would like to put the plants in another tank,without taking cyano with it. there is nothing in the tank for about a month except plants. any help would be appreciated.:)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Blue green algae is actually a photosynthetic bacteria, thus treatment is an antibiotic (I believe it is Erythromycin). A copper dip should do the trick as well. Make sure you rinse it well after treatment because cyano release toxins as it dies.
Prevention is the key: reduce light and nutrients (more often water changes) or else it will come back.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I use hydrogen peroxide.1ml per gallon of water, use as a dip.. The h202 breaks down into water and oxygen. Oxygen destroys cyano bacteria. You can also apply the h202 directly to the plant while still in the tank. There are a few steps to this. Some fish are sensitive and will need to be removed prior. On a whole it is pretty safe. I have never lost any fish or plants. I use h202 regularly as an algaecide for my anubias.

Edit: I just saw that the tank has no fish. Use a syringe and slowly apply 1ml of h202 directly to the cyano. Turn off any filter prior to dosage. Leave the filter off for 1/2 hour after dosing. Continue daily dosages until cyano is gone. Manually rinse and inspect them before moving them to qt or new tank.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts