Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be planning to get a 20 gallon saltwater tank that will house 2 tank bred oscelaris clownfish. I will plan on getting an atlantic anemone. I need all the information i can get about saltwater because i know very little about it. Please give me some tips, i dont mind doing lots of diy stuff to save money as well so if you have diy tips go ahead and say so

·
Registered
606 Posts
1st off, buy Some Instant Ocean Salt.
2nd, Hydrometer.
3rd, Live Rock(If Wanted)
4th, Live Sand(If Wanted)
5th, Organize Tank
See....Easy..

But thats not everything.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Well i know everone here willl give you crap about putting a anenamone in a 20 gallon.(inless you get a cube like mike sugjested :wink:)

·
Registered
675 Posts
I asked them and they all said there is no anenamone that will fit in a 20 gallon tank(i asked them if i could put one in my 20 gallon) they said all the anenamones would grow tooo big. but then mike said you can keep an anenamone in a 20 gallon cube aquarium.

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
trreherd said:
I asked them and they all said there is no anenamone that will fit in a 20 gallon tank(i asked them if i could put one in my 20 gallon) they said all the anenamones would grow tooo big. but then mike said you can keep an anenamone in a 20 gallon cube aquarium.
Yes all anemones will get to big for a 20, but if any anemone I would prefer would be this one:

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_1...ategory=4&category_search=63&root_parent_id=4

I have had one in a 20 for 6 months now and have two clowns that host in it. NOw wait dont rush off and get on with a clown becuase it is RARE that any type of clown will host in it. And they move alot. Mine hasn't moved ever and I hope it stays like that.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
matt, i told you you needed that stuff, as i told you i knew the basics, i recomended you to get that hydrometer, remember?

·
Registered
606 Posts
musho3210 said:
matt, i told you you needed that stuff, as i told you i knew the basics, i recomended you to get that hydrometer, remember?
I Have a Hydrometer, rock, sand, corals, and salt but its in the garage.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey mike, is that an atlantic anemone you were talking about to me? I dont think i'll mind it getting to big. Also, you said your clowns use it, what type of clowns do you have?

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I need help on not what to get, but how to take care of my tank, like i know saltwater fish like a ph above 8.0 but my tap water is 7.5. Stuff like that, and how to moniter salt conditions, and other stuff. I dont live near a sea and personally i woulnd use fresh sea water since i dont know whats in it so i will need to make my own saltwater from using tap water. Should i use tap water or reverse osmosis?

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
for filtration i was thinking of using a protien skimmer and live rock, and live sand only.

I know how much rock i need at a minimum (1-1 1/2 pound of live rock) And matt, this part isnt optional since it carrys beneficial bacteria which helps your tank ALOT, its not all for looks. Also i was thinking of 50% live sand and 50% of non live sand.

·
Registered
606 Posts
musho3210 said:
I know how much rock i need at a minimum (1-1 1/2 pound of live rock) And matt, this part isnt optional since it carrys beneficial bacteria which helps your tank ALOT, its not all for looks. Also i was thinking of 50% live sand and 50% of non live sand.
What? I Have More then minimal amount of live rock.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Matt said:
1st off, buy Some Instant Ocean Salt.
2nd, Hydrometer.
3rd, Live Rock(If Wanted)
4th, Live Sand(If Wanted)
5th, Organize Tank
See....Easy..

But thats not everything.
i was talking about that post, you said live rock (if wanted) i was saying not if wanted, its needed, i know you have more than minimal

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Clowns will not host to Atlantic anemones, it's a foreign object to them.

Corn and BTA anemones in the proper set up will quickly outgrow a 20g. It's up to you if you want to try it. Personally I feel that anemones need pristine water conditions and since they can be polluters they should have plenty of extra water volume to displace that pollution. Also many anemones need high flow conditions to properly exude their mucous coatings. High flow in a small tanks can be difficult as it is hard to not make it direct flow.

For set up I'd get

30lbs of aragonite
a bucket of seachem reef
a nice light set up. Maybe something in the neighborhood of at least 100w.
a protein skimmer is not necessary but can be useful if you are not the regular water change kinda person.
flow. Some sort of flow would be nice.
a hydrometer
a big ol bucket of patience.
Some test kits would be a great idea.
a few pounds of live rock to seed the tank. buy as much as you can or plan to add more. 20lbs for Fowlr or 30 lbs for a reef would be a good idea.
more patience.
an idea of what you want it to look like, be it from pics online or magazines.
You'll need to decide if you want some sort of mechanical filtration or not.
books.
magazines.
local friends to rely on.
candy.
patience.
money. $$$
clean water source.

I'd skip the tap water. If you can't buy a RO/DI unit at least buy the filtered water from outside the supermarket. Your tap water will contain way to many nutrients that will feed the algae in the tank. Nothing will ever protect you from it at that point as your source water will be contaminated. Your PH will be fine as long as you use a good salt mix. the buffers are put in the mix.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
would i have to use a light that high watt? that seems expensive and im kinda low on cash. As with the anemone, i heard some people have had success with it and since im buying tank bred fish, will this raise my chances? Also whats aragonite?

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
should i use sea chem or instant ocean? I also want a basic saltwater, not one with dozens of coral and tons of rock.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts