Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Blue said:
And the theory of them eating a cow may be true but that applies only if the cow has wounds which will most likely trigger them to attack. Piranhas don't attack until their prey has blood to attract to.
Another thing, their reputation of attacking humans is far from true. They are actually shy and will attack only if provoked.
Not true... I've been a piranha collector, for 9 years now, and there are many different species of piranhas. Pygocentrus species are shoal fish, that are basically shy, and docile. Where as the serrasalmus genus, with the exception of maculatus, and geryis, have to be kept in tanks by themselvs, individually, because they will attack anything you put in the water, including your hand. The whole "blood" thing is completely a myth. I feed mine mice all the time, and theyre not bloody. Its hunger pains that get them to attack, Nothing more. The piranhas you're talking about in question with the cow, are Pygocetrus Notatus, Nattererri, Piraya and Ternetzi. This theory was made popular by Teddy Roosevelt, during his trip to south america. The locals blocked off the river, on both side of a walkway over the water, with nets, and filled the area with piranhas, starved them for days, then threw a cow in the water. Killer first impression of a foreign country eh? And as for tank size, 15-20 gallons per fish, is the bare minimum for ANY piranha, and most need bigger, but you can get away with 15-20.
I hope I've been helpful, and Blue, I wasnt trying to argue with you, just shed some light on our misunderstood friend, the great piranha. Good day to everyone! :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Blue said:
joeshmoe said:
Blue said:
A small tank would require almost overfiltration which is not often advisable .
y ? i have 75 gallon filter ging in my 55
Joe, in such a small tank, if you are the fish, would you want to be carried away by currents while you are alive? Of course, you'd reply no.:dunno:
If Joe was a piranha, he would. Seeing as how piranhas love the currents, and a strong power head is greatly appreciated.

Filtration is the key factor in piranha survival. Without it, you have nothing. Bio Wheels are the cheapest, most cost efficient way to go. Water parameters will clash otherwise, with the high bio load piranha waste produces.

www.opefe.com < that should answer any more questions anyone might have about piranhas.

·
Registered
6 Posts
KishFeeper said:
lol what are you guys fighting over? just go with the 1 inch per gallon rule and you will be fine.
Sure... if you want to stunt their growth. It dont work like that with piranhas. They will will be runts. 15-20 gallons minumum per fish

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have no more input to offer. It appears someone is feeding more into this thread than is necessary... I just like to offer my help when needed...seeing as how I've bred and raised these fish for years. Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
I dont even have them anymore, I just havent changed my signature. That was just a holding tank, til I fed them to the piranhas.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts