Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So one of my "Albino" Pink Convicts is turning bright orange.... is this normal?? I can't seem to find much info online other than info on the females red bellies, which is not the issue. The entire body is turning orange. I'm going to try and get a pic to post.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Wow that's pretty cool. My female has a lot of orange but no where near that much.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It doesnt look abnormal, I just can't find much info on the color changing. Im thinking its a maturity thing too. It pretty wild how fast its changing!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I feed them cichlid flakes. As far as I know they have all eaten the same food for years.... I just inherited this tank, so I've only had them a few weeks.

·
Registered
290 Posts
They were Albino when you bought them (as juveniles) and as they mature, the females will turn orange(ish). It has nothing to do with diet, water, etc. It's fish genetics, nothing to worry about ;)

Not just the belly will turn orange, the males can also achieve this orange coloration on their belly, the full fish (excluding the head) is turning orange, which indicates it is a female.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
They were Albino when you bought them (as juveniles) and as they mature, the females will turn orange(ish). It has nothing to do with diet, water, etc. It's fish genetics, nothing to worry about ;)

Not just the belly will turn orange, the males can also achieve this orange coloration on their belly, the full fish (excluding the head) is turning orange, which indicates it is a female.
They are not albino - the eyes are not red. But I agree, it's genetics and is nothing to be concerned about.

I agree that the orange indicates female, but the full fish need not be orange for the fish to be a female. My female's orange is localized to the belly region and expands somewhat when she's laying eggs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts