Tropical Fish Keeping banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

Registered
But I started to get some brown stuff over decoration and plant, is it wrong? Should I be worried?

View attachment 845266
To me it looks like good bacteria or algae so I wouldn't worry. The plant is going to take some time to adapt to your water and may look like crap for awhile. This is all part of the start up of a aquarium. Please do a good water change soon and don't forget to treat the water with the dechlorinator before you put it in your aquarium. Keep me updated please, thanks.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Aye, aye sir, will do. Also, thank you for the overall help with aquarium I really appreciate it. Giving so much care to a complete stranger on the other side of the world. 馃槃

Registered
I have two tanks, one is cycling and one is a 5 gal (Soon to be upgraded)
I got the brown stuff to, it will usually go away depending on the kind, if not a few snails should help. You can do a water change without a siphon just by using buckets and making sure your fix don't swim into the bucket. Make sure that the water has no chlorine in it when you do a water change. Fish keeping at first is hard, but your setup seems decent and I'm glad to see you in the hobby so far!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So I did about 70% water change, tried to treat the water, used again some bio starters, later in the evening I will do test again, after everything sits down etc. But, there seems to be a new problem, Blue acara is a bit bully, I guess I can't do much about that, and thorichthyses are bullying each other too, they doesn't seems to like each other anymore. Pictus is swimming again, so that is fixed. 馃槄 Also did some rearranging, I have put the plant in smaller gravel. Both acara and thorichthys are bullying other thorichthys, but they ignore each other, they are picking together on the other one.

Registered
So I did about 70% water change, tried to treat the water, used again some bio starters, later in the evening I will do test again, after everything sits down etc. But, there seems to be a new problem, Blue acara is a bit bully, I guess I can't do much about that, and thorichthyses are bullying each other too, they doesn't seems to like each other anymore. Pictus is swimming again, so that is fixed. 馃槄 Also did some rearranging, I have put the plant in smaller gravel. Both acara and thorichthys are bullying other thorichthys, but they ignore each other, they are picking together on the other one.
Okay you took the extra step that I was going to mention about the nitrifying bacteria in a bottle that you can add to get thing's going in the right direction. You did well 馃憤 馃挴

Now as far as the aggression goes that's another story by itself. To put it simply, Cichlids are territorial. Please take some time to look up the fish you have and read about the tank space and aqua-scape they require to thrive.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well, they require much bigger aquarium, but I can't buy them bigger aquarium at the moment. So I hope nothing goes wrong. 馃槕

Registered
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
So, NO3 around 120, NO2 10, GH around 10, KH 6, PH 7,5-8, Cl2 0. I feel like my tap water is not the best, but the fish are happy, even pictus is alive finally, and I feel like they stopped bullying each other, but I am not sure, might be just when I am around, so they are too focused by me.

Registered
10g: 8 young golden Dalmatian mollies 1 neon tetra 2 nerite snails 10g: 2 nerites, soon molies fr t1
Welcome to the forum and fishkeeping. Dartmouth has pretty much nailed it, not much to add.
Keep it up!

Registered
So, NO3 around 120, NO2 10, GH around 10, KH 6, PH 7,5-8, Cl2 0. I feel like my tap water is not the best, but the fish are happy, even pictus is alive finally, and I feel like they stopped bullying each other, but I am not sure, might be just when I am around, so they are too focused by me.
So okay right away I see that your nitrate is way too high and unsafe for your fish. You need to do a substantial water change to get that back into a safe range. You need to be in the 40ppm range or lower, and again when it comes to your nitrite and ammonia...they need to be at 0ppm.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Yes sir, I will 馃槃 So I did a test on my tap water I use, and the readings are: NO3 - 35; NO2 - 0; GH - 16; KH - 10; pH - 7.5; Cl2 - 0. Is that good or bad, for a tap water for fish 馃槃

Registered
Yes sir, I will 馃槃 So I did a test on my tap water I use, and the readings are: NO3 - 35; NO2 - 0; GH - 16; KH - 10; pH - 7.5; Cl2 - 0. Is that good or bad, for a tap water for fish 馃槃
hehe I'm sorry, I just don't want you to loose any fish. Those readings are decent and you can work with that. Nothing out of the normal for city tap water.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts