Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Pictus Catfish? or Dojo Loach?

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  OddballFishCoveter 
#1 ·
Hi,

So I have a 55 gallon tank with a Marineland Biowheel Emporer 400, 2 Aqua tech power heads (175gph each) a heater, and a sand bottom substrate.

I either really want to have pictus catfish, or golden dojo loaches.

For pictus, I would do a group of 5, and make sure I get the spotted peruvian variety that stays smaller (4-5") then the columbian variety. (And I possibly would get a rapheal as well, I love how they look similar to the zebra pleco but WAY cheaper)

If I went with dojos, I would get a group of 3 probably.

What would be some good other fish (I'm thinking just 1-4 centerpiece fish) to go the pictus or cool water fish to go with the dojos?

I'm more inclined to the pictus though I think, closest to a silver shark catfish I'll ever get!

Thanks guys!:-D

#3 ·
The main issue with the weather loach is cooler temp so that is restricting on tankmates. The pictus is predatory so medium/larger fish; the profile suggests rainbowfish which would be good assuming you have basic water, or certain medium/larger characins if softer water.

#4 ·
I have had both a dojo loach and a pictus catfish (unfortunately Petsmart never tells me anything so I got each singly instead of in a group like your supposed to, bless this site for expanding my fish-knowledge A LOT), and really both of them developed interesting personalities and were very fun to watch. My dojo loach eventually started sucking on my hand whenever I had to do something in the tank, I always said he was 'kissing' me but he was probably tasting me instead. :p Either or, both choices are great, the catfish are very fun to watch zipping around the tank, and the loaches can get very cute personalities. Like Byron said, there is the cooler temperature to consider on the dojo loach.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.