Tropical Fish Keeping banner

pictus acting strange

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  1077 
#1 ·
I recently got a young pictus catfish (about 2 inches) that I was keeping in a 2gallon freshwater aquarium. Normal catfish behavior, spaztic, all over the place, good eater, etc. I've moved him to a larger 20 gallon tank with a few neighbors, an angelfish, a few guppies, tetras, and he was doing just fine. Since then I've added another catfish, this one a bit larger but not too much, probably 2-3 inches. They started off normal, swimming around the tank together, scavenging, etc, but recently my first catfish is beginning to hide in a tall leafy plant in the back of the tank.

Is it hiding because its feeling threatened by the other catfish? Does this species just happen to really like this plant like my angelfish prefers to stick around one specific plant I have? Do I even need to be concerned at all? Any advice or information you can give me on this topic would be greatly appreciated :) thanks.

#2 ·
I recently got a young pictus catfish (about 2 inches) that I was keeping in a 2gallon freshwater aquarium. Normal catfish behavior, spaztic, all over the place, good eater, etc. I've moved him to a larger 20 gallon tank with a few neighbors, an angelfish, a few guppies, tetras, and he was doing just fine. Since then I've added another catfish, this one a bit larger but not too much, probably 2-3 inches. They started off normal, swimming around the tank together, scavenging, etc, but recently my first catfish is beginning to hide in a tall leafy plant in the back of the tank.

Is it hiding because its feeling threatened by the other catfish? Does this species just happen to really like this plant like my angelfish prefers to stick around one specific plant I have? Do I even need to be concerned at all? Any advice or information you can give me on this topic would be greatly appreciated :) thanks.[/quot

Always wise to research the fishes that interest you before you purchase them. Quarantine of new fish is also a good idea to help prevent the spread of possible parasites and or other pathogens to otherwise healthy aquarium.
(Pimelodus Pictus), are active swimmers and for that reason ,most recommend a 55 gal minimum for these fish which should be kept in groups of three to five. They are a sensitive fish to any fluctuations in water chemistry,chemicals such as medications,and they need oxygen rich water with moderate to strong current to do well in the long term.
They are for the most part carnivourous and appreciate foods such as blood worms ,frozen shrimp,krill,chopped earthworms,and will no doubt take small fish that will fit in their mouths.
They appreciate caves and driftwood to hide or rest near, or in,, and are stressed in the absence of such places.
Water must remain stable with respect to temp and ph and water must read zero for ammonia and nitrites with nitrAtes no higher than 20 ppm as recorded with test kit. Water changes of 30 to 50 percent once a week using a good dechlorinator for new water added. Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.