Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek:mg:

Help!!! The Ph in my fresh water is out of control!! Does anyone have "the secret" on stabilazing it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok here goes:
55 gal tank, dual bio wheel filter system, various population of guppies, silver fish, clown loach, pleco.

I checked Ph after my mollies started dying off. I never had any problems, now Ph is 8.5+ off the charts. I did a 25% water change first, cleaned gravel and used Ph down. Still high

Next (about a week later) a did another water change.....still high. I bought this powder staff that is supose to "automatically" stabilize to 7.0. What a crock! Still high! I look a little bit ago and one of my clown loaches has died.

No sign of disease, or fungus.....nitrite, nitrate, hardness is all with in normal, but Ph is still high!!
Help!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yep, I use tap, but I also use declor (forget name, but it helps with slime coat). I also keep close eye on temp of water when filling to keep around the same to avoid stress.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oops! sorry....my eyes are getting sleepy. :roll:

As far as decorations: I have plastic plants (no real) a fake log for loaches to hide in. I think its resin or plastic, and some bubble stones.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hmm...not sure whats causing it...might still be the tap water. Any snail problems or anything like that? I'd check the tap water and go from there. Also those chemicals you were speaking of can be extremely harmful to the fish so until to find out what is causing the problem in the first place.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, so if it is my tap water, then what? I heard something about putting peat moss in my filter? Not sure where to get it?

·
Registered
370 Posts
well we can discuss means of fixing that once we discover the problem. Peat is one method but until the root problem is discovered theres not much use in discussing fixes.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Wendi.:wave:

This is odd. Mollies should be able to tolerate that pH. Mollies prefer high pH. I'd be careful when lowering the pH. What are your KH and GH? Test both your tapwater and tankwater.

Pls stop using the pH down. It will do nothing but harm your fish. Once its effects wore off, the pH will swing back to its usual level. If the difference is very big, your fish will tremendously be harmed and eventually killed.

You must determine your GH and KH. If your KH is very high, you'll have a difficult time lowering the pH.

Pls post the exact figures of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. When did you start your tank? Was it cycled? When did the problem start? How do you maintain your tank?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts