Tropical Fish Keeping banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
That's crazy high if its dkh. You said you were using an API liquid drop kit? I think reef is right...I'd retest that and if you still get the same number then if I remember correctly you'd do a series of waster changes to correct it. Check the new salt water before you use it too just to make sure. Are you using ro/di water?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
No using water at house we have access to hard and soft. What test kit do people like for salt water. Also, my ammonia test clear in color. 0 is usuaslly yellow. Could the bottle be bad?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I use API liquid drop kits for my tests. Not to say there aren't other good brands but that one is the most popular. They always have worked well for me. I'm not sure if test kits can go bad...maybe if they were really old I suppose. Sounds like the water you are using is extraordinarily hard. You can test it before you mix in the salt. Maybe that's the issue. If so you'll want to get some softer water or if your LFS sells ro/di might be worth it to get some of that.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
everything else is perfect per the lfs. She test my ammonia last night and got 0.25 and I went home and it was clear so I take that as no ammonia$?????

Hers had a yellow tint but it was like a hour after I put it in the container and got there to have her test it.

·
Banned
4,058 Posts
Tough call. Your kit new? How old is the lfs kit? How long has this guy been testing water? I'd go with yiur numbers, we tend to be more precise about taking numbers than the quick handed LFS guys.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
30yrs and the lfs is a friend so i think we r good there. But the alk has thrown her for a loop

·
Banned
4,058 Posts
I've never seen it that high in anyones tank, in 20 years. You've done water changes? This should have taken it back to reasonable levels. And your house water tests out at what?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ok so i am so mad at myself i hadnt used my test kit for awhile and only used 1 bottle for the ammonia so that is why it was clear. So by the time i figured it out my ammonia tested 1.0 so i did a big water change. The pj cardinals are great now. I dont have a kh test kit at home but will soon. Thanks a lot for ur feed back .

21 - 29 of 29 Posts