Tropical Fish Keeping banner

pH differences b/w tap & Tank water

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Hallyx 
#1 ·
Ok so I set my tank up 7 days ago. its a 100L freshwater tropical with heater, top filter with the carbon/bioballs/ceramic rings. It has painted gravel, 3 plastic ornaments and an airstone and 3 live plants. Ive got two fish in there.

My ammonia, nitrites & nitrates are all 0.
My pH though is 8.0.
my tapwater pH is 7.0.
My water hardness (i looked it up on the water supplier website) is 16 mg/L which i believe is soft.

So any reasons why my pH is high? I was told it could be from the type of gravel as painted gravel is often cheap quartz and that raises pH.

My local aquarium said to add 30% change with rain water (only once off and not to keep changing with rain water): it lowered my ph to 7.4.

But why is there such a difference between tap water and my tank and what should I do? change the gravel?

#5 ·
Thanks!
I tested the pH myself with the API master kit tester using the ph & high pH test.
I took it straight from the tap but read i should let it sit for 24 hours before testing. So i just put some tap water in a cup then to test tomorrow.
I didnt test the water hardness as i dont have that kit.

I also put some gravel from the tank in a bowl with tap water to test tomorrow to see if the gravel is affecting the pH.

#6 ·
OK was going to suggest that you do exactly what you are doing. If you test the PH without letting it sit or shacking the crap out of it first it won't give ya true reading due to some gases in the water. Its also not a bad idea to test the gravel like you are. When you get the results tomorrow and they are still the same we can try to figure out something else.

#9 ·
Ok so I let the tap water sit for 12hours:

Tank-
pH 7.4 - 7.8 (had 30% rainwater change yest as pH was 8)
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0

Tap: ph: 7.0

Tap water w aquarium stones: pH: 7.4 - 7.8.

Im guessing its the stones raising the pH in the tank?

#10 ·
Depending on what they are they can. The only way to know for sure is to swap them out for something else but that's a lot of work just to see *if* that is what it is for sure. You have nothing else beside plastic ornaments? I hate to suggest you swapping the gravel out and that not be it. Soo hopefully someone else will chime in and have an idea.

#11 ·
I think the gravel is quartz? its from the place where i got the tank but its the painted stuff.
Yep only plastic ornaments, and airbubble strip and the filter going and 3 live plants, two fish thats it.

the tap water is def 7.0 yet with the stones in is 7.4 - 7.8.

Im off to the aquarium tomorrow for them to test the water and to check my test kit so I will ask their advice to.

Didnt reliase I needed to be a scientists to run an aquarium hahaha! :frustrated:

#12 ·
So the aquarium store doesnt think my stones are changing my pH that much as my sample of tap water with stones had alot of stones and small amount of water and if it was that, the pH of the sample would be way off after letting it sit for 24hrs: it was like tap water 7.0, tap w stones 7.4.

He thinks it's just new tank syndrome and to let my tank sit for another week but thought it was weird that there is no ammonia, nitrite or nitrates detected at all!

#13 ·
Running an airstone can raise your pH by outgassing CO2 and inserting 02 into your water. You can lower it naturally with driftwood and/or Indian Almond Leaves (or Oak leaves or other tannin source). Do not use chemicals.

Having ~8.0 pH is not bad. At least your tank will be easy to cycle. Research high-pH fish and stock accordingly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.