Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Petsmart or Petco (US only)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a poll on what major retailer is better (they both arent that good but dont lie, im sure many of you have bought fish or other livestock here)

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah they both suck but i think petsmart is a bit better, maybe just because petco seems to take better care of the fish, but still, i like my local pet store the most.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
herefishy said:
I wish there was another answer, like none of the above. Shopping those places is like buying fish from Wal-Mart only worse.
well there not that bad, or mybe its just by me but mines clean n healthy. there are no other lfs by me .:cry:

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The petco near me is terrible, full of dead fish, all fish were pale, bad store managers, i felt so bad i had to buy some fish, so i got 2 danios there and there still fine

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
There are people in other forums volunteering to do anything to improve the accuracy of the information stated on each tank.:wink2: Who would ever know a clown loach reaches only 4 inches?:dunno: I've heard from some US citizens that there are times when you see information in such stores very inaccurate and will apparently misguide every beginner there is.:shake:

I'm not a US citizen myself but I do learn everything by interacting with other people and brainstorming ideas on how improve anything that needs to be improve.:)

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, at petsmart the other day (i was there for my dog) i looked at the oscars and they told you they could fit in a 30 gallon tank and they also say there maxiumum size is 10 inches. THen i looked at the koi and they said they needed a minimum size of 20 gallons. Angels needed 10 gallons etc. At least they got goldfish right with 30 gallons

L

·
0 Posts
Personaly I dont think its fair to say either store is "BAD" I agree some of them give out the wrong information. If this upsets you so why not start a petition in your area try to make a change at your local store. I have gone to petsmart and yes I have seen some things that upset me as far as their tanks are concerned but I have gone to a different petsmart only a few miles away from the first one and they were wonderful nice tanks well cared for fish with proper information. I think it all boils down to the employees of store. Are they willing to take their job seriously and care for the fish? Or are the just there to make a buck? Every store is different in every county, city, state, country. As a fish keeper all I can do is look for the best place to purchase my fish. Personally I am very lucky and have a wonderful lfs. But some of us may not be and their local petsmart or petco or walmart maybe the only place they have. We all do our best when it comes to our hobby. :)

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
musho3210 said:
i hate wal-mart........ not because of fish, because its a monopoly.
Yeah, yeah, yeah...don't we all. Truth is, we'd monopolize any industry in a second if we were capable; they did it and now they are enjoying the benefits. I'd love to see a competitor step in, but with their logistic setup it's not going to happen. In my area, LFS and Little shops in general are run by a-holes...I want to support the local economy, but if I'm going to be treated generically I might as well save 25-50%.

As far as pet stores, Petco all the way. In this area the tanks are immaculate! That's also where I bought my mouse. :p

·
Registered
198 Posts
My vote is for PetSmart only for their low on-line prices. I have never purchased fish from either store. I went into a Petco a few weeks ago and every tank had this white disk in the bottom that the fish loved to hang out around. I wonder if it was something to make them feel better? It sorta looked like how salt 'melts' in water. That made me suspicious, I didn't ask about it though. The other thing that was a total turn-off at petco was a loud, pre-recorded sound of running water playing from a speaker in the fish dept. Stupid.

I might consider purchasing from PetSmart now that they have opened a store closer to my home -- used to only stop at PS if I was out of town, too long of a drive for live fish.

However, I prefer some of my other local fish stores where the tanks have caves, driftwood, rocks, plants, etc in the tanks and the tanks aren't obnoxiously stocked full with one kind of fish.

·
Registered
490 Posts
If I have to choose, I choose PetSmart. I've had experience in both stores and it's consistent regardless of location. For dog or cat items I'd say either is ok, but since we're talking fish...

I swear by a lfs that I found by accident. They have been wonderful! They have so much more to offer than the chain stores. It's obvious they are interested in helping, which is to their benefit. Fishkeeping isn't exactly the cheapest hobby, and word of mouth is the best advertising. I'd rather go there and spend the extra few dollars to support small business and get appropriate advice.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I like petsmart more on the basis of pricing really. petco is massively overpriced for most things here. Honestly in terms of fish advice I've given up on asking the people at bigger stores like that since the information I recieve is usually wrong. I prefer to do my own research or ask the employees of the smaller places. When it comes to buying fish both have their equal share of sick or poorly kept fish and I look at it on a case by case basis. For example I bought my GBRs from petco and they ended up fine but I've never gotten a livebearer from them thats been completely healthy whereas the livebearers from petsmart are usually in better shape but some of the other fish like killies always look terrible. Both tend to have poor information and I like my small local shop more in terms of both fish quality and advice but quite frankly the bigger stores tend to have a larger selection of fish so its hard to not pick up something from there from time to time.

·
Registered
763 Posts
we got petsmart in the uk the used to be called petcity and id have to say ive seen more live fish at the fishmarket not to mention the 25 hampsters in a tank the size of an a4 page

*Word edited out. There's no need to post it.
Blue

1 - 14 of 14 Posts