Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just picked up my 29g!!!

the sale is on.should be at all petcos nation wide.
Wow. What a roller coaster this holiday season. On December 23rd I saw the Marineland led kit 20g for $86.00 at petsmart and decided that I liked the LED look and I'm unable to really invest in lighting I thought the kit might be cool with some fake plants and colorful looking neons and tetras and corys swimming around and it will be great. So I bring the everything home and I'm doing some research over the next few days and heard about this sale. The stand I bought happens to support both 20g or 29g. It's the Aqua Culture Deluxe Aquarium Stand 20/23/29. So of course this gets me thinking....
Long story short, I heard about this sale and picked up this 29g for 29 bucks and the sticker on the aquarium is $58.99 Aqueon tank.
BTW Gravel is also on sale. 20lb bags are $13.50. I picked up 2 20lb bags of black.

Then finished the rest on Drs Forsters site. It's a huge price difference if you have the patience for shipping.

I thought building my tank myself took longer to plan but will have much better components then the original kit I was going with.

For example the same marineland kit led 29g included a 200 watt heater but most accepted charts indicate a 100 watt is the correct size. I ended up choosing the visi therm 150watt.
for the filter I was debating between the Fluval c3 or a canister. I finally opted for the Filstar xps canister. It's 250 gph and rated up to 45 gallons so I hope it's enough. I also added a tetra whisper air pump 40 with 12' bubble wand.
For comparison, the price of the c3 is $40 and the XPS is $75 so I upgraded for the sake of the fish (and myself)

I was thinking of initially starting with some hardy barbs or tetras...any good sugestions? I'm hoping my tank will have the following eventually:
1 snail but unsure of which perhaps mystery? or nerite?
6-8 barbs neons
6-8 tetras glow light
3-4 fancy guppies
6-8 corys (maybe the emerald green ones)
1 bushy nose pleco (perhaps albino)
perhaps 3-4 Siamese Algae eaters
with either 1 of the following choices below:
1 angel
or
1 dwarf gourami or pearl gourami
or
2 kribs
or
1 male betta

For décor (all aquarium grade), I have about 20 fake plants (large, medium and small) I also have 1 large skull, 1 large tree stump with multiple caves leading in and out of it, one tree log cave, and 1 small piece of Mopani wood.

any thoughts and advice is much appreciated. Tanks!:-D

·
Registered
3 Posts
frightydog

HaveYou Cycled Your Tank Yet
no I got the tank yesterday :)

My plan is slowly cycle the tank over 2-4 weeks:
Aquarium Bacterial Additives: Drs. Foster and Smith Live Nitrifying Bacteria

as well as
Aquarium Ammonia Removers: Drs. Foster and Smith Instant Ammonia Remover
then adding 3 of the barbs or tetras...not sure which. I also have some established filter media from a friends tank I can use. I'll put it inside my canister filter. after the initial stocking of 3 (any advice would be appreciated for example: should I use 1 snail instead of 3 fish to initially stock?) I will wait about a month and add 3 more etc until the bioload is established.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I fish in cycled my 29 with zebra danios. Its been a year and a half and I've still got one left from the initial bunch. People don't usually like fish in cycling though, and its just as easy to use other methods.

As for your stock, it looks like your plan is on the overstocked side, and I'd only do so many if you intend to plant the crap out of it and add inhabitants veeeeeeeeeery slowly.even then I'd skip the algae eaters.

I'm also not a fan of keeping angelfish solo, although the one I have in my own 29 doesn't typically bother other fish. They're cichlids and they can be incredibly aggressive. When I had my mated pair, they wanted to kill every other fish they saw. A school og angels would be far too many fish for a 29 though (just random input, didn't think you would try it ;) )

Start a thread about the tank and then people smarter than me can give their input too :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i would fish-less cycle and use the time to research inhabitants.using 1 snail to cycle the aquarium is not very effective as the bioload is small,and not very good for the snail.i only add snails after the tank matures.this way there will be a natural food source available for them.if you absolutely cannot wait,use some seeded media and either dr.tims one and only or tetra safe start.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts