Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it sounds horrible. One of my Mollys gave birth, and I have tried to give away my babies for free. But leaving in Canada doesn't seem to have as many outlets like USA does. I still have like 30 babies in a 37.5 gallon tank, with the about 10 of my adult fish.

They are getting bigger and risking my adults due to all the waste, and spiking my nitrates.

I don't know what to do with them, and wondering if there was a safe and humane way to kill them?

I feel horrible with even asking, but I can't risk the lives of my adults.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Yeah that's a very real concern when keeping livebearers. Assuming your keeping good care of your fish, this will be an ongoing problem so you'll have the opportunity to try different things until you find a method that works for you.

Here are a few options - find someone who needs feeders, garbage disposal and ice bath. Putting an add up on Craigslist for free feeders is likely to lead to a win/win situation. Garbage disposal sounds terrible but is extremely quick and efficient - put the fish in a cup of water and pour it into the running disposal. Ice bath is very quick and efficient as well, but requires you to watch the fish die and then dispose of them. Placing a fish into ice water stops its heart in a matter of seconds, and leaving the fish in the ice water for a few minutes ensures they stay dead. This is the method I use on my fishing boat - cooler has ice water instead of just ice. Some species we catch can survive on just ice for several hours.

Both the garbage disposal and ice bath are approved methods by the American veterinary medical association.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing, doesn't go away"

1 - 2 of 2 Posts