Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm 9BooBear, I've been a member of TFK(tropicle fish keeping) for
about 1 yr. I haven't been on the site more than about 5-6 times since joining. I'm not very good @ working on a website w/ so man rules & wouldn't want to offend anyone.
Anywho, I have a 55 gal. community aquarium...in it I have 2 fancy angelfish)1 quite lg. & the other about the size of a 1/2 $$$, both bought at the same time. 1 rosy barb, 3 giant blue danios, about 11 platys that interbred too many times, 4 starburts platys, 2 gourami's, 1 very lg. pleco,1 cory catfish, & I think that's about it, so far...I've had tanks when I was much younger & living with my parents. So I think I have enough basic knowledge to handle a tank.
However I do have a problem & tried tofind the right thread but was unsecessful..(sp)
I've had my tank set up for over 3-5 yrs & enjoy it VERY MUCH!!! I watch it like a TV...& it calms me. I'm looking for a forum to discuss the problem of "particles(like dust) in my tank, I believe came from an old airstone...so if someone can direct me where to go for advice...that would be GREAT!

Thank You

9BooBear:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Well hello.... I'm sure one of the Mods. could direct you better than I , but maybe a post in the advanced fresh water forum would get more views...and some answers from people smarter than me...

that being said.. that's a lot of fish in a 55 gallon tank.. especially considering how large angels and pleco's get ( or have already gotten)....what is your maintenance schedule?... have you added anything recently that might cause a bacterial bloom. Have any fish gone missing..... is the tank planted?...... air stones do disintegrate with time and need to be replaced periodically.. it is possible that the lack of oxygen in the form of fine bubbles ( due to the broken down stone) are causing a bacterial bloom ... but being stone they normally become part of the substrate and IMHO are not the particles you see... a picture and test results of the water would be helpful

Reactions: BooBear9

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was suggested that I try this forum for help with my water. I change the water weekly or @ least bi-weekly. The levels are in range. I use a API master test kit. When I change the water its at least 50% & I always add Stress coat. It was suggested that I had ALOT of fish in my 55 gallon tank, but if you saw the size of the fish, even the pleco, I call him "Hoover" lives in a catle in the tank. He only comes out when noone is walin g on the floor, or at nite when eveyone is asleep. The 1 angelfish I have has grown as large as my palm...the other, bought at the same time still appears to be almost the size he was when I bought him/her. The particles I speak of are like the dust you see when a sunbeam comes through & yu see "dust" in the air. I think it's from the disinigrating airstone. I did about 2 water changes that week when I first noticed it. I changed the filter inserts, I did weeky water changes since. I take every thing out of tank & vacumn gravel, rinse off the plant(artificial), rinse the log, castle, etc...I just don't know how to get ALL the "dust particles gone." Anyone have any ideas?:-(

Thanks 9BooBear

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
This might sound silly but are you sure it's not just water bubbles? Can you try to net some and see if it's solid?

Just a thought.

Reactions: BooBear9

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I don' think they are water bubbles. I never had them before. It wasn't until I cleaned the tank, put the airstone back in, which I scrubbed in sink with a toothbrush & filled tank that I first noticed them. I believe they are solid because when I cleaned the tank yesterday...I could FEEL the grit. I think my only option is to really empty most the tank, remove the stones , rinse them, replace them & hope for the best. I don't know what else to do. I've rinsed everything else, changed the filter cartridges yeasterdy & I still see them. It HAS to be tht stupid airstone, which was MY fault in not realizing they disinigrate!!!:roll:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts