Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
38 gal Marineland Bowfront Aquarium
50 gal filter

My male paradise fish seems to be hanging out at the bottom of the tank most days but still eats. He’s only active when there is food. I did a water change 2 days ago because ammonia level was at .50ppm. After water change ammonia levels were at 0ppm. He was active and swimming around after that and then soon went to the bottom. I’m at a loss! Any advise would help. He’s my most prettiest fish and I would hate to lose him.

·
Registered
29 Posts
What kind of test are you using? .50ppm is high! Hovering near the bottom is a sign of ammonia stress. What is your ammonia reading today?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would do daily water changes.
What are your nitrites and nitrates readings?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
How long have you had the tank? Any sign of ammonia suggests the tank is new and has not established yet. Ammonia is toxic to animals, so your fish isn't swimming due to living in toxic waste.

Edit. Ensure daily water changes and dose with water conditioners that remove ammonia. Don't feed him, or at least feed him every few days (they can go a couple of weeks without being fed). This allows the filter to catch up and reduce the amount of ammonia present.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
High pH is fine, as long as it doesn't fluctuate the fish will adapt. Many fish species - not wild caught - can handle a varied water conditions ranging from acidic to basic environments.

·
Registered
29 Posts
How long have you had the tank? Any sign of ammonia suggests the tank is new and has not established yet. Ammonia is toxic to animals, so your fish isn't swimming due to living in toxic waste.

Edit. Ensure daily water changes and dose with water conditioners that remove ammonia.

Sidenote: I LOVE your signature :D

I heard using additives to lower ammonia is bad for the cycle in the long run? One sec, lemme find out where I read that...

*googles*

Here it is:
http://www.firsttankguide.net/ammonia-stress.php

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thats odd, high ammonia, no nitrites and 40 nitrates??

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Sidenote: I LOVE your signature :D

I heard using additives to lower ammonia is bad for the cycle in the long run? One sec, lemme find out where I read that...

*googles*

Wellll I can't find it, so maybe it was another attribute like trites or something..

Carry on!
Thanks for the sidenote. ;)

All additives do is increase the amount of H+ in the water. Ammonia is considered to be a weak base, and as a result can accept a donor H+. However, due to its 'weakness' and basic bonding, NH4 (^+) does not form a long lasting form.

So:
NH3 + H+ NH4+ ( means goes both ways)...

It does not affect cycle times at all. :) i will mention that ammonium (NH4) is not as toxic as Ammonia, whichis good for us and the fish.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the sidenote. ;)

All additives do is increase the amount of H+ in the water. Ammonia is considered to be a weak base, and as a result can accept a donor H+. However, due to its 'weakness' and basic bonding, NH4 (^+) does not form a long lasting form.

So:
NH3 + H+ <|> NH4+ (<|> means goes both ways)...

It does not affect cycle times at all. :)

*slow nod* :demented:

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Sorry. That did not work.

^^^ this.

Anyway, have you tested your tap water? Does it have aby level of ammonia present? (What do you use to dechlorinate?)

And sorry for all the confusion guys. Basically, ammonia is bad (NH3) and ammonium is 'gooder' (NH4)...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have well water and when I tested it before adding stock everything read as followed.

PH- 7.0
AMMONIA 0ppm
NITRITE 0ppm
NITRATE 0ppm

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sorry. That did not work.

^^^ this.

Anyway, have you tested your tap water? Does it have aby level of ammonia present? (What do you use to dechlorinate?)

And sorry for all the confusion guys. Basically, ammonia is bad (NH3) and ammonium is 'gooder' (NH4)...

Oh NOW you're just showing off! :lol::lol:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm gonna let the Aussie scientist take over here on this one and just go sit in my corner.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts