Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Java Fern in my tank that is taking over the tank, It is dominating about half of the tank and will be encroaching on my Anubias soon. It is making it difficult for my Angel to swim around (It is a 10 Gallon Tank)...

Before I get into trouble, I know the tank is too small for an angel. This tank is a starter and will be replaced in the coming holidays (At which point the 10G will become a QT/Hospital). I will be acquiring a 55 Gallon in about a month.

At any rate, The Java fern looked wonderful and fit nicely when i planted it into the tank. After some fertilizing and probably too much light time... The thing has taken over!:evil:

So my Question is How do i cull this thing back? Can I cut off one of the entire leaf shoots without killing the entire plant? Should i use scissors to do this? Any suggestions welcome

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Here is a tip- cut the rhizome (the long "stem" that all the leaves come out of). As long as you leave over an inch And a minimum of 3 full-sized leaves, the pieces will survive. Don't throw them away though!

Post in the classifieds section, someone will surely pay shipping on them...
(Points to green text below :p)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts