Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Yes.
That is another thing you check for.

But even with an hob overflow that breaks siphon, you should adjust so that even in that case you don't get a flood. Again, the sump runs out of water before the upper container floods. I test for that by just forcing the siphon break/ drain blackage.

I also use the return pump or a powerhead to suck out any air in a hob design. To help prevent siphon breaks and reestablish siphon should siphon be lost.

I also make overflows from pvc pipes with a water trap design. So the overflow boxes are not necessary. But then ugly pipes are. :lol:

my .02
I never cared for siphoning water out of the tank. I used a CS90 for a long time with no problems (in fact it started right back up after a few power outages, no problem) but I always think about it while I am at work or away.

If anything, I prefer to drill at least the back of tank (coast to coast overflow) or buy a reef ready drilled bottom. Glassholes.com has a good kit for putting an overflow on a tank. If not, you can probably DIY the process with a Diamond hole saw and a bulkhead.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts