Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, not sure if anyone here knows a thing or two about outdoor ponds, but here we go!

I have a 218-Gallon Goldfish Pond with 8 Goldfish and a Pleco who's currently 12 inches.
Now here's the tricky part, my current pump was a 750 Gallon Per Hour, but that wasn't getting the job done with the water flow.
he pond has a (6 - 6 1/2ft) tubing from the pump to the top of the waterfall. The pump also rests in a container filled with 5 bio-balls, with a fine mesh on top of those with a coarse mesh on top of that, along with a lid with several (8 - 10mm) holes in it.

WITH THAT BEING SAID! I've gone out and bought a new pump with a GPH of 1200, but there's no change in the water flow. I'm lost at this point.

The main question is.. Why is my water flow so weak even with a powerful pump? Is it due to the pump having so many obstructions? or possibly the tubing being too long?

Thank you guys for your time!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Most likely it's a lack of head pressure, different thing from gph. Most likely you need a pump with a higher head pressure, could be down to the tubing restricting flow, or the height the pump has to lift the water to.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts