Tropical Fish Keeping banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Oh boy, Kym. It's obviously been some time since I took a good look at the forum. I had no idea you were dealing with this. I hope by replacing a majority of the plants, along with your pwc's, it will be gone quickly. Bummer you're dealing with this. A hardscape would be beuatiful too! I jsut saw some recent pictures of hardscapes and WOW, stunning!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ack! I wish I had seen this before you tossed your plants!

A little bit of a trade secret, but 'medicating' your tank with Maracyn will remove cyanobacteria no problem. You use Maracyn for 3 days in a row, at the end of each day do a 50% water change, and then go back to a normal water change regiment (so it would look like dose Maracyn, next day water change, dose maracyn, next day water change, dose maracyn, next day water change then normal water changes).

Then your cyano will be gone and will never come back in that tank setup.

However, hardscape only layouts are some of my favorite and are beautiful layouts.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
If you cut it in half and use the cut ends as the area of contact for the gravel you might be able to get it to look like the wood is comming out of the gravel and the other half of it is buried instead of cut.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ack! I wish I had seen this before you tossed your plants!

A little bit of a trade secret, but 'medicating' your tank with Maracyn will remove cyanobacteria no problem. You use Maracyn for 3 days in a row, at the end of each day do a 50% water change, and then go back to a normal water change regiment (so it would look like dose Maracyn, next day water change, dose maracyn, next day water change, dose maracyn, next day water change then normal water changes).

Then your cyano will be gone and will never come back in that tank setup.

However, hardscape only layouts are some of my favorite and are beautiful layouts.
Treat with Maracyn with my shoal of Discus in the tank?? I think I would have been too afraid to chance it. My Discus are me *babies* (shhh-don't tell my other fish) But it does make perfect sense as far as the cyano, since it is a bacteria and Maracyn is a bacterial medication.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
LOL, I just did. Posted two pictures of her. Couldn't post a .bmp for some reason. Stinks, because I love that one.

Oh, and thanks for understanding and an even bigger thank you for all your help!!!!

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
LOL, I just did. Posted two pictures of her. Couldn't post a .bmp for some reason. Stinks, because I love that one.

Oh, and thanks for understanding and an even bigger thank you for all your help!!!!
Can you resave the .bmp to a different format? No thanks required as it's what I'm here for!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Kymmie, I just had a Cyano issue myself in MY "baby" tank. It's angels and my bolivian ram pair. I just did a lights out for three days. The lights have been back on for three now and normally, three days after a thorough vacuuming the Cyano is back to visible levels. At worst, I've set it back big time. It doesn't require any medication and my plants seem to have not minded a bit.

I'd try that in a tank with sensitive fish like the Discus before doing anything that involved chemicals. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I'd try that in a tank with sensitive fish like the Discus before doing anything that involved chemicals. Just my two cents.
And that's a good two cents well spent! After some huge water changes, much vaccuming and cutting back the lighting schedule I'm not seeing any in the tank at the moment.

The boyfriend is out in the desert on a job and took all his tools with him. I'm in a hurry to redocorate my tank and didn't want to wait another two weeks until he comes home in order to cut my huge chunk of driftwood. Since I threw all the plants out the tank looks awful and I have new plants and new wood that I'm ready to put in the tank except the one piece of wood is way too big.

I just got back from Home Depot where I purchased a reciprocating saw. I locked down the chunk of Malaysian driftwood in the vice grip. I thought I had it in there nice and tight. All I can say is that it's a good thing Wade isn't home. Everything on the work shelf vibrated and lots of it (tape measures, clamps, etc) fell off and at the same time the wood fell out of the vice while I was sawing it. Is it any wonder he has forbade me to use power tools?? I had no idea those saws could cause so much vibration. I'm a disaster waiting to happen.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Oh boy Kym. You sure are lucky Wade wasn't home! Did you get the piece of driftwood cut? Me? I would have just used an old fashion hand saw, praying that I didn't lose any fingers in the moment. How's the tank coming along? Any more signs of the Cyano?

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The old fashioned way would have taken forever, and you already know how impatient I am! I finally did get the wood cut and today I will re-arrange and re-plant the tank. I have one pair of Discus that spawned yesterday but they did so on the back of the algae magnet (their preferred place) so I can gently move the magnet out of my way. I've done this a number of times when they've had a clutch of eggs they are "guarding" and it's never seemed to bother them.

I do not see any cyano but what are the chances I got every single cell of it out of there?? There's no way I got it all. I know it's still there but hopefully the new lighting schedule will keep it at bay and the levels in check.

By the way, in the November 29th issue of Newsweek on page 40 is an article on how scientists are discovering that a species of cyano (S/W version from the family of Symploca) is looking promising as far as its ability to be a potential cure for cancer. Symploca emits a toxin that attacks tumors. I found the article VERY interesting.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Personally, I'd me more inclined to try an antibiotic rather than a blackout. Why you ask? :)

Blackout-
Algae dies, releasing ammonia. Bacterial filter may or may not be able to handle the increased ammonia, resulting in a spike. The lack of light will prevent the plants from taking up ammonia.

Antibac-
You can go online and read about which anti-bacs are safe for discus.
May compromise substrate bacteria, and will kill your algae, releasing ammonia. Luckily, a well planted tank has no 'cycle' to speak of. Your plants MAY actually do better once you wipe out the bacteria.
All of my tanks have plants only, no filters (except 1 in 1 tank), and 0's across the board for nitrogen compunds.

If the discus tank was a heavily-stocked community, I wouldn't do it... But can I assume that it's well under-stocked?

Of course, if you have great filtration (canister filter) and you remove as much as possible before the lights out... (and do w/cs DURING the blackout) then blackout may work.

The only time I had cyano was when I had an overstocked tank and an ammonia spike.... I ended up tearing down the tank.

The 'odor' people describe of cyano is true, but probably not caused by the cyano, but the disgusting rotten smell that tanks have during an ammonia spike.

Manually removing will never get every last cell... There's got to be a cause. Silicates perhaps?

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Eh....Wade got home yesterday after being gone for three weeks, looked in the tank and said, "Jeez, what happened in there. It's totally bare". I rolled around going the antibiotic route but have decided to table that idea, for now. I can do a total black out but I'm lagging on doing it as I so enjoy watching my Discus on a daily basis. The idea of covering up the tank for three days, I'll have addiction withdrawals, lol. I still need to do more research before doing a black out. I'm learning an outbreak of cyano is due to excessive organics in the water and why kill it off if I didn't know what started it in the first place, so I can avoid a repeat?

@redchigh- The tank understocked?? LOL. Hardly. Every tank I maintain is overstocked by typical calculation, but not as far as the fish and their preferred space and swimming areas in the tanks. All tanks get 50% water changes, all have nearly double the recommended filtration, all are heavily planted. (Well, at one point my Discus tank WAS well planted until I ripped nearly every plant out of there :-() The tank does not have a bad smell at all.

So, how does one test for silicates? I've tested for phosphates and there is no discernible reading. Someone else told me that my low nitrates (5 ppm) could be a contrubuting factor but since I do 50% water changes every five days (will continue to always do this for the health of my Discus) the nitrate level won't change. That same person also thought I had too much light over the tank. I've only got 130 watts of 6700K CF over a 100 gl. I would think that to be low light. Same person said adding CO2 would help. The problem with all this is that the first and foremost thing are my Discus and their health. Is it smart to start messing around with a tank that has three healthy spawning pairs in it?? I think not.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
are you doing a lot of gravel vaccing with your water changes? Maybe theres an excess buildup of mulm in certain areas that are promoting cyano growth? If so, cleaning those areas more should help.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
are you doing a lot of gravel vaccing with your water changes? Maybe theres an excess buildup of mulm in certain areas that are promoting cyano growth? If so, cleaning those areas more should help.
Yes, I vaccuum the ENTIRE substrate floor of the tank, twice a week. The floor of this tank is cleaner than the floors of my home, lol.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
well if you choose to do antibiotics, be sure to do the complete dosing regime, not just until you stop seeing it. Otherwise the cyano comes back stronger than before if its not completely eradicated.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts